Why Don't you Have a Pony yet?...or ever

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, we will just have to tell her we are raising the bar. she is very low-key, she will do anything and then she doesn't talk about it. Who knows what she has done.

I don't have doubles either... You might really have to solo. :D

grazie42:
The hole in the picture looks passable in doubles...you just need to go in from the long end...perhaps it gets even more cramped?

That's why I was asking how big the room underneath was. In doubles you'd need to go in sideways, I think. Mine are wider than my hips by about 20cm I think. It would be a tight squeeze.

R..

yes...mine are double 15´s (232) equal to 116cft in those strange units the US uses(?)...so...not small...

for the techsters, what is the protoccol (DIR, or otherwise) for passing your gear through?

First of all, you never make a penetration without laying a guideline back to the exit. Some old-school wreck divers might make "small" or incremental penetrations without a line (or sometimes in boats that aren't too silty) but I think this practice is too dangerous.

If it's cramped inside some people will leave their stages outside where the line is clipped off (not DIR IIRC, they always keep the stages with the diver). There is certainly something to be said for not taking a stage inside with you as long as we're talking deco gas and not bailout. Some accidents have happened by leaving stages behind, though. I know of stories where the divers were not able to relocate the stages and I've heard one story of a diver whose stages were stolen by other divers when he was inside....

I wouldn't recommend removing gear and pushing it in front of you (this is the technique). There have just been too many accidents with people doing this. If you can't get your stage through the hole but it opens up inside then I would just remove the stage, put it through first and then reattach it inside.

Lay a guideline.

R..

Unless you´re confident that you can find your way out with your eyes closed, lay a line. Confident in this context means that you´re willing to bet your life on it...because you are...

I´ve heard a "false sense of security argument" against laying line, usually together with promotion for progressive penetration (old-school)...YMMV... I will lay a line on (almost) all wrecks...

Just unattach and resecure the stage on the other side...(like R said)...I´d think you´d be able to go thru the hole on the pic without doing it though...I don´t like leaving bottles (even decobottles) behind but I will if that´s what it takes to get thru a restriction and I think its "worth it"...

You guys are confusing me. I can understand leaving a stage bottle (with bottom gas)behind, but I would keep the deco gas with me. The stage bottle would be just to extend bottom time and would not lengthen the deco schedule if it were lost.

catherine96821:
for the techsters, what is the protoccol (DIR, or otherwise) for passing your gear through?

DIR protocol for passages to small to fit in with doubles is not to go in them. That opening looks easily big enough for doubles and absolutely huge for sidemount.

You guys are confusing me. I can understand leaving a stage bottle (with bottom gas)behind, but I would keep the deco gas with me. The stage bottle would be just to extend bottom time and would not lengthen the deco schedule if it were lost.

All decodives are planned with contingency for lost decogas...
whether you leave it or bring it depends on how willing you are to utilize it...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom