Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The metric system will only be mandated after it has taken over quietly as a defacto standard. When all the soda bottles go metric( oh sorry that already happended), when gas gets poured in Liters etc.

The answer to the OP is simple, the residents of the US have lots of freedoms, one of those is that they can buy and sell things in quantities the choose to use. With less regulation hopefully comes less expense, which makes for more profitable companies and possible lower costs of living.

So who cares if I tell you I dive 100feet or 30.48 meters?

Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit? Almost all the countries adopted the metric system, because measurements and calculations are easier thanks to the base of 10. Even with NASA the American scientists use the metric system. The unit imperial was very much used in the Anglo-Saxon countries, but now another large countries Anglo-Saxon like Canada or Australia decided to use the metric system. Why is the USA the only large Anglo-Saxon country to remain "irreducible"?

I feel the same way. The metric system just makes more sense.

1. Because most people in the U.S. would react negatively to the change just like those posters above.
2. The curricula in the schools would have to be changed at huge expense.
3. Highway signs all across the country would have to be changed, also at tremendous expense.
4. The list of other things that would have to be altered is too long to even comprehend, kind of like how long is 257 millimeters?

Why bother when all you have to do to convert meters to yards is divide by 0.9144. Dividing again by three gives you the equivalent in feet. Similar simple and handy formulas exist for converting all of those confusing metric measures into the kind of system used by Jesus. Isn't it bad enough that the US money system is metric, instead of something simpler like systems based on Baht or Koku?

There have been attempts by various governmental agencies to switch.

for example, I know the Ohio Department of Transportation switched to requiring all plans be done in metric. Then a few years later, they switched back to having them done in Imperial measurements. It was what people were use to seeing and using.

I THINK in the metric system most often due being in the medical profession.

Many of my non-medical friends think it it's SO difficult to learn so I really do understand the opposition.

I feel the same way. The metric system just makes more sense.

No it doesn't. The only advantage is the ability to make calculations by shifting the decimal.

Simple: The metric system is fer-ner stuff. we like out messed up system.
all our old cook books will be out of wach, ect.
"add 34 cc of sugar to 456 ml of milk, whip until volume is 670 cc, then flatten to 4mm by 93mm" get a grip!
hahhahahahhahahh;hlhohihgjhioohggg!!!!
points for 1000: what was the meter originally based on????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom