Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pulled ...sorry Just Too Silly To Explain

A grain is a unit of weight in the avoirdupois system of measurement, the system used in the US and the UK. 7000 grains constitute one standard US pound. The determinant of bullet weight in the US is an avoirdupois (ounces, pounds, tons, etc) calculation, made on a very sensitive scale.

The topic of firearm related measures is logical and, by the standards of the era in which they were developed, exact. For example, the gauge of a shotgun is determined by the number of steel balls the size of the bore required to total one pound. A 12 gauge shotgun's open bore is the size of any one of 12 equal sized steel balls that have a total weight of one pound. That's why the higher the gauge the smaller the bore. The exception is the .410, which is 41 caliber (.41 of an inch).

I am of the transition generation in Canada. I can use both but will prefer some units depending of the activity.

at work (civil engineering), I use metrics for conception but during the job, I have to work with cranky old machinery operators so I have to be able to convert real fast approximatively (100mm = 4" , 300mm = 1 ft, etc.

Fishing: I'm all still imperial. weight is in pounds and lenght in inches. I could not consider it otherwise coz I would not be able to represent the size of a fish in metrics.

Diving: again, imperial. ft, psi, etc. I can use both but I was trained in imperial and I am more comfortable with it.

driving: it's Km and km/h. Miles? I have lost the "feel" of em', except after a few days driving to Florida.

temperature: oddly, for air temp, I am now more used to metric (except when the temperature is over 70 and/or I'm in Florida where I can use both) BUT for water temp, i'm all imperial.

So... as I can see, I still am pretty much using both systems.

I would conclude this way: everyone individually should be able to use the system he wants but it's a positive aspect to know em' all (like languages). However, globally (as a nation), it would be better to gradually switch to metrics since it's simpler and it's now the world's science unit (as english is the universal common language (except in China)).

Now, if they switched to metric in carpentry, what would a 2 x 4 really be since it doesn't really measure 2" by 4"?:confused:

remember the Spinal Tap movie and they requested a onstage copy of Stonehedge and by the time it ended up on the stage it was a small 4" model with vertically challanged people skipping around it :rofl3:

over the next 10 years 40 million jobs gone from USA through replacement technology, outsourcing, and natural end of industries, Mexican truckers operating in USA, illegal imigration that no one seems to be able to stop, explosive birth rate in poverty class , we are a has been country unable to save ourselves, chain stores knocking out local industry.
Will someone please stand up and say enough is enough!
America Uber Alles!

We're not the only ones doing it... in the UK, your beer is still a pint, not a "568.2 ml"

One's weight in the UK is often expressed in Stones... that sounds odd to the American ear.

We're not the only ones doing it... in the UK, your beer is still a pint, not a "568.2 ml"

One's weight in the UK is often expressed in Stones... that sounds odd to the American ear.

think aboot us poor aussies

you can have a "stubby" of beer, which is between 330 mL (11.5 Imperial fl. oz., 11 US fl. oz.) and 375 mL (13 Imperial fl. oz., 12.7 US fl. oz.) in Australia

BUT a darwin (one of our states/territories) stubby is 2.25L (76 US fl. oz., 80 Imperial fl. oz.).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom