Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's about DIR???:confused:

:wink:

It won't work Wardric. Now that they have they're own little private sand box, they won't come out to play anymore. :D

Fortunately?? :eek:

Cursing in different norwegian dialects is almost like different languages. Heck, you could even call a cop a "hæstkukk" (thats a not-so nice slang word for horse-penis) if youre from northern norway and get away with it (it was even tried in court!) because its dialect. If I do the same id prolly be locked up for the rest of this year..
When I was at SHAPE I asked a Norwegian officer if there were major differences in Norwegians and Swedes that I should be aware of...
He told me "Well, the Swedes have one thing we Norwegians will never have."
"What's that?" I asked (innocently)
He replied... "Good neighbors!"
:)
Rick

When I was at SHAPE I asked a Norwegian officer if there were major differences in Norwegians and Swedes that I should be aware of...
Rick

:lol::rofl3:

Thankfully this thread is back on track :11: my only question is about the track size. Do we measure it metrically? :D

6X6 (statute miles) of course.
Rick :D
Also called 6x6 SURVEY miles. Just to make things more confusing, the definition of a statute mile in the UK and the USA differ.

What the UK calls a statute mile, we call the international mile. It's what you get if you take 1" = 2.54 cm as an exact conversion, and then stack 63,360 of that length end to end to make a mile.

Our imperial units are now defined in terms of metric/SI, rather than the other way around. It used to be that the legal conversion of length was 1 meter = 39.37". That has changed, and the newer definition is 1" = 2.54cm. While the reciprocal of 2.54 is close to 0.3937, it is just a tiny bit off, so that change in definition changed the length of the inch, foot and yard in the USA.

The survey inch, survey foot, survey yard, ....survey mile are based upon 1 meter = 39.37" exactly, which is about 2 parts per million different than the inch, foot, yard .... mile based upon 1" = 2.54.

Multiple systems of units get get very tricky when doing precise work, which is why most scientific work is in SI.

Rick
We just love hating eachother (norwegians and swedes)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom