Why doesn't the USA adopt officially the metric unit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What value, exactly?

And this is why the world loves Americans. :eek:

What makes you think Americans like the rest of the world. Our forefather (and mothers) were kicked out of every other country on earth ..do you really think we are concerned with you. I for one will never care what the rest of the world thinks of us ...I'm not that Narcissistic ...however you can sit and ponder why the world looks at your country with ...unease. I wont I'm to busy selling pounds of copper, steel and plastic to convert that into dollars so I can buy several thousand sq ft. of property to appease my need to seperate myself from the rest of the SI loving world.

Conformity leads to apathy which leads to appeasement which leads to surrender ...I think Andrew Jackson would concur.

What makes you think Americans like the rest of the world. Our forefather (and mothers) were kicked out of every other country on earth ..do you really think we are concerned with you. I for one will never care what the rest of the world thinks of us ..

:trainwreck:

however you can sit and ponder why the world looks at your country with ...unease

Can you enlighten me?

:trainwreck:

Can you enlighten me?

Yea I don't sit around wondering what the world thinks of America ...you can but I don't waste my time doing ...Perhaps the world finds trouble with the country you ar living in ...I for one wouldn't care.

Yea I don't sit around wondering what the world thinks of America ...you can but I don't waste my time doing ...Perhaps the world finds trouble with the country you ar living in ...I for one wouldn't care.

In the spirit of your statement

Conformity leads to apathy which leads to appeasement which leads to surrender .

I'm going to have to come right back at you with

Self-introspection leads to thinking which leads to awareness which leads to enlightenment.

Conformity leads to apathy which leads to appeasement which leads to surrender .

Self-introspection leads to thinking which leads to awareness which leads to enlightenment.

:jb:

:jb:
which leads to what ? ... that the SI system is better than the Imperial system??? Whats your point. The topic was the value of the SI system over the Imperial system.

which leads to what ? ... that the SI system is better than the Imperial system??? Whats your point. The topic was the value of the SI system over the Imperial system.

We got off topic when I you failed to explain this assertion:

To change the value of our measurements because some units translate into less complicated conversions doesn't outweigh the value in using the imperial system.

What exactly is the value in using the imperial system?

When are we going to convert to metric time?

60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 24 hours per day makes time calculations unecessarily complicated.

How come the metric guys like the original poster aren't lobbying for time in decimal units of days? Then instead of "just a second", we can say "just 11 microdays". :)

That's a very good idea

It has equal value in that the measurement of units are arbitrary when it comes to implementing the system, a meter is metric and a yard is Imperial I choose the yard you choose the meter. I understand that a mile is exactly 5280 feet I also understand that 1 k-meter is 1000 meters. Which is a better system of measurements? and please explain why?

I also understand that it takes me x- amount of time to walk 5280 ft ...likewise it takes you x-amount of time to walk 2km It is an arbitrary means of explaining the same action.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom