Why do you dive?

What's the most enjoyable aspect of diving for you?

• Seeing cool stuff

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • The physical (e.g., weightlessness) and psychological (e.g., wow, I'm breathing underwater) thrill s

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • Teaching others about diving

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Meeting interesting people

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Its a vehicle for setting and meeting personal challenges (i.e., to dive deeper, or into caves, etc.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • At this point, its mostly just a habit

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I don't know - I'm just trying something new at present

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • The thrill of exploration and discovery. I'd rather dive a new but boring site than a visually exci

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At some point in time I can probably claim each and all of the listed reasons.

It's exciting, and relaxing, it's fun and it's challenging.

Most of all it's an escape from the day to things that can bring you down. Diving raises my spirits, gives me a feeling of adventure, accomplishment, and enjoyment. That's one of the reasons I became an instructor.

A Bad day of diving is better than any day at work.

Mike D
:blfish:

I love seeing various forms of sea life.

I love entering another world where all the rules I'm used to (e.g. sight, sound, weight, etc.) are different.

I love the feeling of being alone, even if I'm surrounded by other divers. Meditative. Simple.

I love travelling. Getting to some remote dive site out in the middle of some tropical archipeligo, or somewhere like that.

I love the adventure of it all!

I have always love the ocean...every bit of its makes me feel great..thus..It is natural for me to take up diving..though I have postponed learning it for several years. :D

The thrill, the feeling of being surrounded by marine life and the weightless feeling makes me relax

and I can never had enuff of it :D I just LOVE it :)

For me it's not only the diving, but the whole atmosphere around it. Enjoying it together with people that have the same passion for diving. Talking with eachother about the dives before and after. I also like making non divers enthousiastic for the sport.
I think this is the reason why I made diving or teaching diving my profession.

Keep wet
JPM

but the biggest has to be the "nature" aspect of it. I have always loved everything about nature; flowers, trees, mountains, rivers, lakes, oceans, deserts, etc., but most especially living creatures be it insects, reptiles, amphibians or mammals!

Throughout my life I've had pets of every description and many of them were not your typical pets!

Anyway, I was always fascinated by ocean life (probably because I couldn't experience it first-hand!) and I really wanted to be there in that environment.

Unfortunately I was quite frightened by water because I almost drowned when I was about 8 years old. OK, well that's a bit dramatic! Actually it's more like I thought I was going to drown and proceeded to try and drown my brother who was trying to rescue me! LOL

I used to have dreams that I fell or was thrown into water and an incredible fear would come over me as you can imagine, but then all of the sudden I could breathe. I was under the water and I could breathe. It was the most incredible feeling!

I think that dream helped me face my fear of water and learn to dive so that I could experience that underwater world I was so fascinated with. I'm so glad I did, it's the most incredible thing I've ever done!

And guess what? I'm no longer afraid of water; except when I don't have my scuba gear on! LOL

The other day I dreamt I was talking underwater, hmmm . . .

IMHO, the sensation of moving weightless through the water is the best thing since sex was invented. Of course, finding and seeing things one can never see above surface is a big part of it, but ultimately it is Neutral Buoyancy. I may be crazy, but when water closes above me, I feel like... I am home.

Which may be particularly odd since I did not even learn to swim until the age of 14.

:fishy:

At first it was to overcome a fear of deep water. Now its part of who I am. Its the best excuse in the world to go someplace warm, get some exercise and be pleasantly buzzed on endorphins and memories for the rest of the day.

landlocked once bubbled...
My dive buddy is into collecting plastic. :confused:

I wanted to be an astronaut in Jr. High. I was told I couldn't because I was a girl. Am I making up for lost opportunity?

I thought I dove for most of the first reasons.

Okay....I just like a good challenge :rolleyes:

since you are from southeastern Idaho, mudguppy? Or is that a coincidence? I grew up in southeastern Idaho.

Another Idahoan! :bounce:

I just got done looking at your profile, for some reason...?.. I don't usually take the time to pull them up.

Actually, I grew up in Calif, but it's close to being here as long as I was there. (did that make sense? )

Great place to raise kids out here.
Have fun with all those boys :D

Back
Top Bottom