Why do you dive?

What's the most enjoyable aspect of diving for you?

• Seeing cool stuff

Votes: 30 22.1%
  • The physical (e.g., weightlessness) and psychological (e.g., wow, I'm breathing underwater) thrill s

Votes: 56 41.2%
  • Teaching others about diving

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Meeting interesting people

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Its a vehicle for setting and meeting personal challenges (i.e., to dive deeper, or into caves, etc.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • At this point, its mostly just a habit

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • I don't know - I'm just trying something new at present

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • The thrill of exploration and discovery. I'd rather dive a new but boring site than a visually exci

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Other

Votes: 17 12.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's all about floating baby. My bud thought I was narc'ed this weekend when I came to a spot on catalina where the sunlight broke through the kelp and illuminated a 45 foot wall. The square rocks that made up the wall almost seemed hewned to fit, like they had been placed on purpose.

I started out off the ledge and lost my stomach from the appearance of falling. What a rush - like the one you get flying in a helicopter over the edge of the Grand Canyon. I turned around and did it again, then turned around one more time ... wahooo. At one point I extended my arms out like a plane - for effect.

My buddy was holding his stomach laughing then he came over and felt my forehead with the back of his hand and then pulled it off and shook it rapidly - illustrating I was feverish.

There ain't nothing in the world like that feeling.

Years of Fishing and spouting my maantra, "just one more cast..." (license plate: 1 MOR CST) I want to see what's really going on down there.

I'm really trying to get into the internalized reasons many dive (floating, freedom, flying, etc, etc) but I'm not there yet.

For me, its all about seeing what covers 70%+ of the planet and what 99%+ of the rest of the people will never see. The typography, the sealife, the fish, the kelp (

If vis sucks, I'm not having a good day. If vis rules, I'm having a great day. SOmeday I'll be able to separate the joy of diving from my need for good vis, but for now, yes I am that shallow and tactile.

k

I agree with WreckWriter. It's just a whole new world down there... way different from the "real" world.

And flying is good, too. :D

I'm with you Mo2vation. I do enjoy the weightlessness and being able to breathe underwater, but I LOVE seeing the sights and if the viz is poor or there's nothing to see, I'm pretty much bored outta my gourd! :)

QUOTE]Mo2vation once bubbled...
Years of Fishing and spouting my maantra, "just one more cast..." (license plate: 1 MOR CST) I want to see what's really going on down there.

I'm really trying to get into the internalized reasons many dive (floating, freedom, flying, etc, etc) but I'm not there yet.

For me, its all about seeing what covers 70%+ of the planet and what 99%+ of the rest of the people will never see. The typography, the sealife, the fish, the kelp (

If vis sucks, I'm not having a good day. If vis rules, I'm having a great day. SOmeday I'll be able to separate the joy of diving from my need for good vis, but for now, yes I am that shallow and tactile.

k
[/QUOTE]

There's just enough danger to make it exciting every time you jump in the water. After that it's just plain fun. Like flying. The experience is totally different from any experience topside. I like to hang on the up rope by one hand and watch the bubbles from other divers go bye in clouds. Only place you can have that kind of different experience.:D

I remember that when I was a young child I was not a very strong swimmer, but I just loved being under the surface of the water. Can't explain it, just loved it. Now that I dive, the thrill is even greater.

Wow! I'm really astonished that my response to this question is not an option on the poll and that no one has mentioned it.

I dive because of my love of marine life. I'm an environmentalist. I want to learn about the coral reef ecosystem and perhaps make some small contribution towards delaying it's destruction. I hope to do this by monitoring the health of coral reefs (by participating in volunteer surveys), monitoring the variety and abundance of fish species at various sites (through the Reef Environmental Educational Foundation), and helping to educate other divers about underwater environmental issues.

Some scientists think that coral reefs will be a fond memory by the end of the century. An article in the paper last week predicted that half of the world's fish species are threatened with extinction. Numerous species are already severely over-fished placing stress on the existing populations. Ocean life is in trouble. Perhaps we can turn the tide with education? I'm not optomistic, but I'm going to try.

Yes, I dive wrecks, but I'm only interested in them as habitats for living things. My reverence for life is what motivates me to dive. AM I the only one on this board who feels this way?

Back
Top Bottom