Why do you dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I worked in a tent with a guy in Iraq for a whole stinking year and all he did was talk about diving. "It's so cool, I saw this, I saw that, I saw the other thing, you should try it, blah, blah, blah...."
Well, I tried it and he was right. Thanks Jason.

love2godeep:
A "deep" question.....

Why do you dive? !
I got one for you...why do you breathe? Answer mine and you'll have my answer.
C-Dawg

too nearsighted to snorkel :)

I dive to relax. It's the only place I can escape the stress of every day life for just a little while.

When I was young and foolish I would grab a big rock and sink down to about 20 feet in a flooded rock quarry. Being able to hold my breath for 3 minutes, I would walk along bottom and watch the fish. That started my passion with being under water.

I am now 40 yrs older now and not so foolish but I still like to fin along the bottom watch the fish. I'm always greatful to visit them, in their world. Diving is my passion.

It's Darwin's Universe down there. A filefish gets his teeth brushed by a shrimp. A blue hamlet pretends to be a blue chromis to fake out his prey. Camouflage everywhere and the more you look the more you see.

I snorkled for years before I became certified diver - really resisted because I thought I would feel encumbered by all the equipment, but now I can fly through underwater canyons and observe the reef at leisure.

Yet, I don't dive just to dive. It's the reef that does it for me.

Total removal from the real world and whatever goes on there.

For 45 mins you arent there and nothing matters :)

Oh and shipwrecks. LOTS of wrecks. lovely.

It's quiet and peaceful, and NO frigging PHONES!

The rich density and diversity of life. In a year and a half of diving, and ONLY along the coast of California, I have seen more species of fauna than I have in my entire life, and I've still only seen a tiny fraction of what coastal CA has to offer, let alone the rest of the aquatic world. The life is also more varied and interesting. More niches; more food.

Despite the peace, an endless amount of things to get excited about. I LOVE biology; it's a real passion with me (as you could no doubt tell above), and so I will get excited about almost anything that isn't a kelp rockfish or a blackeye goby. I was ecstatic after my last dive because I (FINALLY) saw my first treefish, and thrilled on a north coast trip because I saw my first China rockfish.

Only time harbor seals can conceivably nip at my toes.

Diving is totally independent of land stuff. It's far more primal and almost natural, despite needing advanced technology to do it. I am mindful that I am not at the top of the food chain so less complacent. Decisions I make and actions I perform matter and may impact my very survival (I know this is true in all cases, but we're used to it and trivialize it, like driving), such as whether to enter the water on a difficult day. In a crisis, I know I must keep a cool head to ensure my survival, and have before. This puts land life in perspective, and enables me to keep a cool head for things that impact my life FAR less than getting bent or smashed to death on rocks would.

I get to impress tourists with my big strapping Sea Hunt style dive knife and tell them I use it to fight off great whites and undersea terrorists.

Using my big strapping Sea Hunt style dive knife for its real purpose - extracting scallops. Yum! And in that same theme, access to fresh abs, crabs, and lobsters as well as any fish I can mooch off spearfishing buddies.

Back
Top Bottom