Why do SOME people disrespect US Divers regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lord1234

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As my first reg I purchased a US Divers Impulse reg from a fellow SB'er. Since then whenever I tell most people they make a face and make spitting sounds(just picture it). Is there a reason why people disrespect US Diver's stuff?

lord1234:
As my first reg I purchased a US Divers Impulse reg from a fellow SB'er. Since then whenever I tell most people they make a face and make spitting sounds(just picture it). Is there a reason why people disrespect US Diver's stuff?
Don't sweat it. (you get the Titan or the Cousteau?) The Titan blows everything in its price range away on every measurable quantitative test there is (breathing machine etc). The Cousteau is superb too.
Maybe they're objecting to their being made in France.
You'll get passionate anecdotal testaments for most any reg out there, but in head-to-head real (measurable, scientific) testing the USDs always score right up top.
Rick

Do commercial divers still use regs from USDs? I think I remember seeing pics of them on helmets.

I have 2 USDivers/Aqualung Micra Adj - think they're great regs.
Same reg - different trade names due to age difference.

mempilot:
Do commercial divers still use regs from USDs? I think I remember seeing pics of them on helmets.
From what I have seen, yes they do. Some Military Units also still use USD gear.

Matt

lord1234:

Because some (a lot?) people are Brand Name Snobs.

I teach in Saudi Arabia. our rental geat is mainly USD Conshelfs. I would hazard a guess they are at least all 15+ yrs old. we beat the $hit out of these regs for 4 solid months a year. daily, hard use, 50C air temps, 90C water temps. lots of sand. multiple drops, kicks, they are beat up and a abused.

and guess what? they work flawlessly. can;t beat a simple, ballenced Diaphram reg.

My regs are all Apeks now (instructor deals I could not refuse) but I would not hessitate buying USD gear again. I recomend USD to all my students.

There is no difference between USD and Aqua-Lung…Must be an East Coast thing...I guess?

During the Depression and war era of the 1930's and 1940's, young skin divers prowled the coasts and lakes of America to hunt for fish, lobster, abalone, or any of any array of fresh seafood that was considered a luxury to these young divers. Equipment back then was either homemade or military surplus and consisted of little more than a mask or goggles. The lucky ones had long johns to fight off the cold and sometimes even a pair of surplus fins. Formal training was unnecessary and consisted of little more than practicing your breath hold technique.
In 1948, Rene Bussoz of Rene's Sporting Goods of Westwood, California, was convinced by Jacques-Yves Cousteau to import a new design for a self-contained underwater breathing unit, known as the Aqua-Lung, which would allow divers to stay under water for extended periods of time. Rene imported 10 of these units and, once these "bubble machines" were sold, everyone thought the market had been saturated. Within just a few years, however, Aqua-Lungs could be found in several shops across the country and a new breed a diver was entering the water that didn't need to have the great physical stamina required of breathe hold divers. The Aqua-Lung created a swell of new divers and Rene's Sporting Goods became U.S. Divers.
The Aqua-Lung was sold to anyone with enough money and came with training little more than a warning to "not hold your breath." The only formal training programs were found in the military, scientific institutions such as Scripps and Woods Hole, and in the dive clubs. In 1951 Jim Auxier and Chuck Blakeslee started a magazine called The Skin Diver (later renamed Skin Diver Magazine). They hired a man named Neal Hess to write a column called "The Instructors Corner" to cover teaching techniques for this blossoming sport. Hess soon began certifying divers to become instructors by reviewing their course outlines and then running their names in the column. This new program was called the "National Diving Patrol."
Check out this link on the history of diving:

http://www.divinghistory.com/articles.htm

USD has been around as long as diving itself no other company can make that statement!

Amphibious:
...50C air temps, 90C water temps....

90 degrees centigrade (194 degrees fahrenheit) water temperatures are not safe for humans. You'd be badly burned in a short time. I'd also be quite worried about compressed air cylinders under such conditions.

Did you mean 90*F* water temps?

Back
Top Bottom