Why do old threads appear as unread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ok, i did the 'mark all threads read' thing. that's likely a separate thing, but i wanted you to know i followed directions. :)

now, if i read a thread it disappears from the 'new posts' search. is it supposed to? what i mean is, they used to be there but in a thinner (non-bold) script. now they don't appear again unless someone posts something new. is this the way the update is supposed to work?

BabyDuck:
ok, i did the 'mark all threads read' thing. that's likely a separate thing, but i wanted you to know i followed directions. :)

now, if i read a thread it disappears from the 'new posts' search. is it supposed to? what i mean is, they used to be there but in a thinner (non-bold) script. now they don't appear again unless someone posts something new. is this the way the update is supposed to work?
Yep. That's my understanding of the explanation and my experiences here.

(1) A subscribed thread with a new post will show up on your UserCP indefinitely or until you read it or mark it read, rather than for 15 minute time-out and reset as before.

(2) If you read a thread, including posting on it, it drops off until someone else posts.

I was so used to the old system, this has taken some adjustment, but it is better. :wink:

Awww, it really is better, just takes getting used to. Some members want to go back to parrots. :)

You can alway click New Subcribed Threads to go to Subscribed Threads and reveiw the ones you have looked at or posted on which no longer appear on the former.

I love not having the 15 min time out.

this is much better (I think) - at least the old way wasn't all that logical.

Damselfish:
this is much better (I think) - at least the old way wasn't all that logical.

That's exactly why we changed it! The old system used inactivity as a measure of old or new... if you read a thread for too long, got called away from the computer or just forgot to click a link everything got reset, beofre you were done reading the new posts. Our system now actively monitors the threads you have read, the threads you have replied to and the ones you have not yet looked at. This allows us to dynamically figure out what is new and what is not. If you reply to a thread and no replies are made afterwords, the thread is no longer new (as you clearly read it to reply to it). Additionally, if you close your browser and leave for a few minutes, the unread threads will remain unread when you return allowing you to multi-task without losing track of where you were.

Better? I don't get it... I follow the directions and then when I log back on I have to wade through 12-20 pages of threads, most of which I've already read... completely. I agree with Walter, I want to go back!

Going back is not an option but thank you for your suggestion.

Dr Bill, click the "Mark All Threads Read" link (located in the Quick Links drop down) and you'll be set.

Better is marking threads read when you read them, not after 15 minutes of inactivity.

Tech Admin:
Going back is not an option but thank you for your suggestion.

Dr Bill, click the "Mark All Threads Read" link (located in the Quick Links drop down) and you'll be set.

Better is marking threads read when you read them, not after 15 minutes of inactivity.

I have to do this every time I read posts. If I do not read a post or a series of posts this session, I probably wont do so on the next session.

However, we all must remember this is a private enterprise; democracy doesn't apply here.

Back
Top Bottom