WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If anyone is going to sell returned scuba gear my guess would be that an online dealer would be more likely. You are a stranger to them, and them to you. An online dealer that had instructors, diver sales staff, a pool and holds classes is less apt to do this. At least in a LDS you can eyeball the gear before you get it. If you buy online you have no idea where that gear came from, or was before you use it.

pilot fish:
If anyone is going to sell returned scuba gear my guess would be that an online dealer would be more likely. You are a stranger to them, and them to you. An online dealer that had instructors, diver sales staff, a pool and holds classes is less apt to do this.
An online dealer will typically have a much larger market and be more susceptible to bad online publicity. Online dealers also deal with a much larger volume of gear, probably show much more profit than most non-online stores, have a much larger reputation to protect, and basically have little to no incentive to resell used gear. I'm not sure what having instructors on staff has to do with reselling used gear, though.

In any case, online dealers are also vastly more susceptible to having liars throw meritless and false accusations at them constantly. The anonymity of the internet makes this easy for those with malicious intent.

pilot fish:
[[[[[[[[The anonymity of the internet makes this easy for those with malicious intent.]]]]]]]]]]jon

You make my point.
What point is that? An online shop with a name, brick and mortar storefront, and phone number you can use to call them up and talk to them is not anonymous and they are accountable.

Internet posters with pseudonyms are anonymous and not accountable.

[[[[[[I'm not sure what having instructors on staff has to do with reselling used gear, though]]]]]]]]jon

Instructors, divers, a pool and giving diving classes makes it more likely that returned gear has a useable market, rental, for classes, etc, and not repackaged and shipped out online

jonnythan:
What point is that? An online shop with a name, brick and mortar storefront, and phone number you can use to call them up and talk to them is not anonymous and they are accountable.

Internet posters with pseudonyms are anonymous and not accountable.

If you live in Walla Walla, let's say, and buy gear online from those online sellers of gear thousands of miles away, that COULD be the equivilent of "Internet posters with pseudonyms that are anonymous and not accountable." When you buy gear online you don't have that personal touch you do with your LDS. You are not able to try gear on and use it in a pool, or ask the dive staff how that particular piece of gear works UW.

pilot fish:
If you live in Walla Walla, let's say, and buy gear online from those online sellers of gear thousands of miles away, that COULD be the equivilent of "Internet posters with pseudonyms that are anonymous and not accountable."
You can call them whatever you like.. but when you can pick up the phone, call the phone number published on a web site, and talk to a real salesman on a real floor in a real store with a real name that does real business with a real trademark, then it's not anonymous, there are no pseudonyms, and they are accountable.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

By the way, what's *your* phone number?

I quote . . .

"If you buy online you have no idea where that gear came from, or was before you use it."

PF,
Can you, with absolute certainty, state that this can never apply to an LDS?

The Kraken:
I quote . . .

"If you buy online you have no idea where that gear came from, or was before you use it."

PF,
Can you, with absolute certainty, state that this can never apply to an LDS?

Kraken, reread my post and a clue to your answer is there -hint: more likely, less likely, could, etc. Hope this helps.

jonnythan:
You can call them whatever you like.. but when you can pick up the phone, call the phone number published on a web site, and talk to a real salesman on a real floor in a real store with a real name that does real business with a real trademark, then it's not anonymous, there are no pseudonyms, and they are accountable.

But, hey, whatever floats your boat.

By the way, what's *your* phone number?

You can go to a dive shop and talk to a real diver that knows that gear and how it works uw, not a salesperson that is only a merchant and does not dive. I would feel less comfortable buying scuba gear from someone that does not know diving. But, as you say, whatever floats your boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom