WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kriterian:
I feel dive shop guilt but it's for a different reason. When I started diving years ago, I got certified at a local shop. There were 3 or 4 in the area, which is great considering we're hours from the nearest beach, so I shopped around first. When I decided to re-certify recently after a decades absence I went with the same shop.

... Anyone else ever encountered this or am I being silly?

It's 1970, I am a high school junior, and I enrolled at the local YMCA for the class. I was told I would receive a YMCA card because the course was given in the Y, regardless of what other c-card the instructor.

Well, it didn't work out that way. There was as much selling of a particular brand of equipment as there was dive training. We were told that all other brands of gear were garbage, they would fail at any depth below 10ft, and, even though the dive shop sold these brands, they were GTTD. That's Guaranteed (did I spell this correctly?)through the door.

I passed the course and received the NASDS c-card. I did not get the YMCA card and I didn't buy any equipment from this dive shop. The shop closed up some few years later and I never found the instructor's name on any active instructor list.

Some things never change.

Again, a good LDS provides all kinds of other diving 'attributes' other than selling dive gear. A good LDS maintains a philosophy that keeps customers coming and keeps up the training and service support.

Online vendors are good for NON-LIFE supporting equipment...I would be wary of the online 'grey' marketeers etc.

Any dive shop that is forcing to buy ONE brand of gear only, and to only buy from them because other shops are gargage or have nothing to offer...is suspect and desperate.

A good LDS will tell the customer to shop around for what suits the customer. This is the mature business approach.

oceancrest67:
Again, a good LDS provides all kinds of other diving 'attributes' other than selling dive gear. A good LDS maintains a philosophy that keeps customers coming and keeps up the training and service support.

Online vendors are good for NON-LIFE supporting equipment...I would be wary of the online 'grey' marketeers etc.

Any dive shop that is forcing to buy ONE brand of gear only, and to only buy from them because other shops are gargage or have nothing to offer...is suspect and desperate.

A good LDS will tell the customer to shop around for what suits the customer. This is the mature business approach.

I agree with everything except your statement about online vendors. The online world is here, and it is going to stay. (Hey, where are we having this discussion :wink: ) You can go to school online. You can grocery shop on line. You can do almost everything online (okay, so some stuff isn't as great online :D ) There are a lot of authorized retailers that sell fully warrantied gear, including life supporting equipment, online. What's wrong with that? Would you rather pay $100 or more to an LDS for a brand you're not interested in just because it's all they carry? Some of us only have one or two LDSs in the area (the closest one to me is still 1/2 hour drive away, and it's only a branch store, compressor is at the other store which is an hour drive away). I can order online from an authorized dealer and receive the gear all before I'm able to schedule the time to go to one of the LDSs. And my experience has been that the customer service has been better.

FWIW,
I have moved a bit since becoming a certified diver and have used 3 shops as "my LDS" This doesnt include the many shops in FL that I use. Each one of these shops has seen a good bit of my business and I have spent some time getting to know the owners. I dont think the LDS would get as bent out of shape if certain divers wouldnt gloat about the great deals they get online. Dive shop owners realize that the online markets will almost always beat them because the overhead is so small online. However the shop is were you will get face to face customer service, servicing, training, and gas. There for the owners realize they have alot to offer to get customers in the door. But, they realize that divers, myself included are always going to look for the best deal. This doesnt stop them from being upset when they are cut out of the loop on a purchase. After all they are a business. I have seen more than one diver come into a shop with a piece of gear that they bought online and "after the fact" ask the LDS owner if it was a good deal. Come on, dont you think that will grate on a owners nerves. I dont spend endless hours in the shop but I have seen this alot in the last few months at my newest dive shop. So maybe one needs to think that its not just the LDS creating this enviroment but inconsiderate divers as well. Now I have bought online. All sorts of gear, but first I give the Local guy the chance to meet or beat my online pricing. If he cant I will buy it. I have even had him help me with gear I have bought online. He doesnt get upset because he knows I will always give him the first crack at my business. btw I am not in any way affiliated with a dive shop I am just a consumer because I know some one somewhere will think I own one because of this post

Also. If a shop makes you feel guilty or bad because you buy elsewhere they arent running a good business. I think good dive shop owners realize that.

SCUBADIVINERIK:
...Dive shop owners realize that the online markets will almost always beat them because the overhead is so small online.

More and more LDSs are venturing into the online market now. The physical store overhead is still there for them. One of my LDSs was trying to break into the online market, but couldn't figure out how to lower online prices without upsetting walk in customers. :11: He can't figure out that the increased sales from online customers should more than make up for the lowered prices in store, if done right. :wink:

SCUBADIVINERIK:
However the shop is were you will get face to face customer service, servicing, training, and gas...

True for most. But that's only if you are a customer and not just another wallet walking through the door. :wink:

Dive-aholic:
More and more LDSs are venturing into the online market now. The physical store overhead is still there for them. One of my LDSs was trying to break into the online market, but couldn't figure out how to lower online prices without upsetting walk in customers. :11: He can't figure out that the increased sales from online customers should more than make up for the lowered prices in store, if done right. :wink:

True for most. But that's only if you are a customer and not just another wallet walking through the door. :wink:

Give it enough time, those LDS shops which are capable of doing good business will survive and thrive when they learn to identify exploit their advantages. For example some LDSes I expect operate in lower tax, low cost states than their online counterparts.

Marketplace evolution.

MoonWrasse:
Give it enough time, those LDS shops which are capable of doing good business will survive and thrive when they learn to identify exploit their advantages. For example some LDSes I expect operate in lower tax, low cost states than their online counterparts.

Marketplace evolution.

You're right. And those that are not capable won't be around any more.

Hopefully I'll have bought my nitrox compatible compressor and completed my pp blending course by then. :wink:

I think that a lot has to do with the LDS that you deal with. I agree that the on line prices are really hurting the LDS everywhere as superstores have hurt other small stores all over and put many out of business. There are a lot of things to consider, yes it is your money and we spend a lot on gear and we want the best prices we can get. We also want good service and we want a place to get our gear serviced hopefully locally and maybe info on sites, etc. Makes it tough. When I started I used 2 different LDS to get my original gear, one was nice enough and somewhat helpful, the other was not helpful and somewhat rude at times, of course I gravitated to the first but even there I was not happy. They would order things for me but made me pay shipping to and from manufacturer if they needed to return it if I decided not to buy etc. Finally I just started telling them what I could get items for online and they started trying to match the prices as best they could as they saw they were about to lose my business. Better but still I felt no loyalty to either store. Then I found another LDS, a little further away but what a difference! I do not have to ask for deals, I am active with that store and they just give me good prices on everything I buy, treat me great, always happy to see me, help me with whatever they can, would never dream of charging me shipping if they have to order something in for me, etc, etc. They treat me like a valued customer. Guess what? I no longer buy on line, I actually want to support this store and I do so, I acutally feel a loyalty to the store. I know they are going to give me good deals and if anything goes wrong with anything I buy from them they are going to fix it no questions asked, if I don't like something they will make sure I am happy regardless of what needs to be done. I no longer buy anything on line. However, had I continued dealing with the first 2 stores that would not be the case so try to find the right store, just like finding the right instructor, it makes all the difference in the world.

RP Diver:
I feel sorry for you then. My LDS goes out of their way to make every customer feel special. They offer virtually every service that a diver could need, as well as top quality gear. Will you pay for what you get.... yes. But IMO, you also will get what you pay for, and sometimes more....

That sounds like the dive shop I frequent just around the corner. I'm so lucky to have that kind of shop so close to home. If it weren't for this shop, my significant other would have given up diving forever because of a bad instructor experience at a different shop.

bgi:
That sounds like the dive shop I frequent just around the corner. I'm so lucky to have that kind of shop so close to home. If it weren't for this shop, my significant other would have given up diving forever because of a bad instructor experience at a different shop.

If you like them, publicize them...Where are they?

Where are you?

:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom