WHY Dive shops make you Feel GUILTY ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Skewed premise.

I listen to the diver that is not trying to sell me what he will make the most profit on.
So how do you know whether the salesman in the shop is selling you what is right for you, or what he wants to move out of his shop?

To get to the point (since I have no patience), isn't it good to eliminate the "personal profit" motive completely from gear recommendations?

jonnythan:
So how do you know whether the salesman in the shop is selling you what is right for you, or what he wants to move out of his shop?

To get to the point (since I have no patience), isn't it good to eliminate the "personal profit" motive completely from gear recommendations?

Before you and I go in further circles, let us agree that we both have a different criteria in scuba gear purchases. Agreed?

pilot fish:
Before you and I go in further circles, let us agree that we both have a different criteria in scuba gear purchases. Agreed?

They GENERALLY have a lot of the stuff lying around to try. Just about every mask they sell they have to try. Same with fins.

However they only have a couple regs in their equipment lineup. They THEN go into the buy, and then try and return if necessary mode.

So YES, you can BUY and return for credit.

Do they then sell the stuff as new? I can't say 100% for sure, but I doubt it. They generally have a couple *new* items in their used area which I assume are returns.

pilot fish:
So, whatya tink of da Mets? :eyebrow:
Same as always :wink:

Back on topic:

jonnythan:
Same as always :wink:

Back on topic:

Encore.

wolf eel:
What Grateful diver said is true, and that is a huge reason the industry is not growing if not the main reason.
They should act like that one store in the thirties (no longer remember its name) The story is that a customer came into the store and a lady asked for a style of coat that they did not carry the sales person instead of trying to sell her a coat she did not want told her where to find her coat. Not only that he looked up the name and address for her. That salesman was fired because the manager watched this and thought they had just lost a sale. In fact the salesman had created a loyal client to the store for being so helpfull. He was later re-hired the manager was fired and they had a complete list of shops and what they offered to be able to give good advice and give the customer what they wanted. Sales went through the roof when nobody had money.

Now if the dive shops got along and acted in the same manner many more people would be diving but instead we look like a group misinformed people who do dangerous things for fun.
Cheers

I think this was Santa Claus at Macy's. Imagine--sending a customer to Gimbal's. He also spoke any foreign language, too.

pilot fish:
Encore.
Agreed, dude..

You should check the FD's air testing report.

Air that's perfectly good to breathe at 1 ATA may be a completely different story at 4 ATA.

Terry

SHARKBAIT94:
Not me. online shopping = saving money, belong to Fire rescue with compressor = free clean air

Back
Top Bottom