Why did you choose to train on and buy a CCR?

Why did you choose to buy a CCR

• Photography

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • Longer Bottom Times

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • To go to deeper sites that OC was not practical

Votes: 36 61.0%
  • Less expensive to dive trimix

Votes: 37 62.7%
  • Technical Challenge

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • Expanded opportunities for instruction

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Most of my buddies did it, so to keep up with them

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Extended cave exploration

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • Extended wreck exploration

Votes: 22 37.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Please answer the poll, your top five reasons for choosing CCR.

Where is the option "look cool and impress ladies (or men)"?

...wonder if this poll best demonstrates our commonality of secondary reasons. I'm on rebreather for photography... But in my top 5, lower trimix cost makes the list. Even though still the majority of my rebreather hours are at O2 depths.

Cameron

Here's another missing option.

If you live in Manhattan, it's a lot easier to put two 3L bottles in a messenger bag and take the subway to your LDS for fills than to somehow get two sets of double 119s and your deco bottles down to your LDS and back every week in midtown workday traffic.

Here's another missing option.

If you live in Manhattan, it's a lot easier to put two 3L bottles in a messenger bag and take the subway to your LDS for fills than to somehow get two sets of double 119s and your deco bottles down to your LDS and back every week in midtown workday traffic.
LOL, picturing that guy with a two wheeled cart and 300lbs-ish of tanks strapped to it navigating the subway...

Continuous best mix breathing (this option is missing too).

LOL, picturing that guy with a two wheeled cart and 300lbs-ish of tanks strapped to it navigating the subway...
... Bought two complete sets of recreational dive gear including 7mm wetsuits, two al80 and appropriate lead... During a flight layover. Two busses and two subway transfers. Met 3 divers who chatted and a few people asking me what I was about to blow up.... Apparently two weight belts around the waist looks suspicious with the huge duffle bag on the back... Got the gear. My back did not love me.

OK... Add that to why a rebreather is awesome. Particularly a small o2 rebreather can be nice and compact for the dive time it provides. Before our little fire station got it's own SCBA fill station and I got the ok for fills I use to haul tanks 1200km (800 miles). When I could do an al80 of o2 and be good for dozens of hours bottom time it changed my dive habits.

And added bonus I can dive and fly after. Done so 6 times so far and it's significant to get an extra half day diving in if it's in a warm location.

Regards,
Cameron

Last edited:

And that doesn't look suspicious at all, right? If you see something, say something!

And that doesn't look suspicious at all, right? If you see something, say something!
Exactly.
The picture I had in my head was "a guy and that cart" on the escalator and the guy trying to balance the load with his knee while balancing on one leg, while trying to follow the command "Put your hands over your head where I can see them...", while the end of the escalator nears...

Back
Top Bottom