DIR- GUE Why did GUE remove Tech1+ endorsement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steinbil

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've seen many references to the Tech1+ endorsement (after 25+ Tech1 dives), which I believe extended the Tech1 limits –

- 30min deco
- single deco stage
- 51m* (currently - the old Tech1 limits didn't include a depth rating, AFAIK)

to:
- 55m
- 45min deco
- deco stage + bottom stage

In my Tech1 class, I was told this was no longer an option. It was also emphasized that the Tech1 limits are not just training limits, but a certification limit that we were expected not to cross. I'm wondering if anybody is the know about why they stopped the Tech1+ endorsement? It seems like a reasonable progression to me, and bridges the gap between Tech 1 and Tech 2. Especially now that Tech 2 is almost disappearing, it would be a nice way to slowly expand the limits, taking advantage of the 18/45mix and adding a little bit of complexity by adding another stage.

I have no rush to progress, and I think I'll take my time at the Tech1 level before considering CCR, but having the option to add a bottom stage and the deco that goes along with it without going into the Tech2 range sounds appealing to me in the future.

Is anybody privy to the reasoning for this change, or are willing to speculate?

@johnkendall @kierentec @mer @Nick_Radov @crofrog

Afaik, the standards are being overhauled. There are rumors that the Fundamentals course will see some changes and a CCR Fundies might be introduced, perhaps allowing Tec 1 to be skipped...

to:
- 55m
- 45min deco
Maybe because it's not such a great progression? With 45 minutes of deco, you should probably start looking at carrying two deco stages, 50 % and oxygen. Which is pretty nasty in terms of gas switches and oxygen toxicity - not sure if that's part of T1.

So why not just start diving the increased limits that the Tech 1+ endorsement specifies?

I've seen many references to the Tech1+ endorsement (after 25+ Tech1 dives), which I believe extended the Tech1 limits –

- 30min deco
- single deco stage
- 51m* (currently - the old Tech1 limits didn't include a depth rating, AFAIK)

to:
- 55m
- 45min deco

In my Tech1 class, I was told this was no longer an option. It was also emphasized that the Tech1 limits are not just training limits, but a certification limit that we were expected not to cross. I'm wondering if anybody is the know about why they stopped the Tech1+ endorsement? It seems like a reasonable progression to me, and bridges the gap between Tech 1 and Tech 2. Especially now that Tech 2 is almost disappearing, it would be a nice way to slowly expand the limits, taking advantage of the 18/45mix and adding a little bit of complexity by adding another stage.

I have no rush to progress, and I think I'll take my time at the Tech1 level before considering CCR, but having the option to add a bottom stage and the deco that goes along with it without going into the Tech2 range sounds appealing to me in the future.

Is anybody privy to the reasoning for this change, or are willing to speculate?

@johnkendall @kierentec @mer @Nick_Radov @crofrog
Tech 1+ was never an endorsement, it was an additional class. It started off as Tech1+, then was renamed Tech60. We then basically never actually taught it as noone wanted it, so we got rid of it.

HTH
John

Tech 1+ was never an endorsement, it was an additional class. It started off as Tech1+, then was renamed Tech60. We then basically never actually taught it as noone wanted it, so we got rid of it.

HTH
John

I thought it was just a single dive

I would be interested in it just because of using a stage to simplify boat diving logistics, and not really having a huge desire to take on the additional risks associated with T2 or CCRs.

I would be interested in it just because of using a stage to simplify boat diving logistics, and not really having a huge desire to take on the additional risks associated with T2 or CCRs.
Yeah, having a set of doubles + multiple bottom stages (one for each dive) with mix, and using the same set of doubles for a series of dives, would be a lot easier than bringing X amount of doubles. I don't know if there are any obvious drawbacks to this that I'm missing, but I've talked to other divers who did just this.

Yeah, having a set of doubles + multiple bottom stages (one for each dive) with mix, and using the same set of doubles for a series of dives, would be a lot easier than bringing X amount of doubles. I don't know if there are any obvious drawbacks to this that I'm missing, but I've talked to other divers who did just this.
… you could always just do it if it’s about logistics :eek: Just be careful about gas switches.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom