Why can't people (me) just make up their mind, already.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
For conversation and/or consternation with my SB friends, some of you may know I've been trying to make up my mind about a new dive computer. Needs: Easy to see without corrective lenses. Air Integrated. Reliable.

For the longest time I thought I wanted a Uwatec Galileo Luna but after trying it on and running through the screens I've changed my mind. It is huge to say the least and the graphics are very rough.

Then the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt caught my eye, as it does everyone else. Looks like a really nice computer and the colors are awesome. But $1,200 each (I'll need to buy two for Sweetie and me) is a little tough. And the text/graphic size isn't that large. Contrast may be sufficient on the OLED, but I'm wanting something that is easy for me to see without corrective lenses.

So, now I'm looking at the Oceanic Pro Plus 2.1. With all the bells and whistles it's about $700+ each. Large, easy to read characters. After reading the manual, it seems to have all the requisite features (I'm not concerned about switching gas or other such maneuvers at this time.) Definitely not something that would take a diver toward the Tech world, but a gracious amount of information for a rec diver.

They all have their special qualities and their warts. So let the comments begin. Comments based on personal experience are especially welcome.

Last edited:
Well, if your sure you don't want to carry 5 stages of trimixnox, I think the pro plus looks like a decent rec computer that will be as legible for ageing eyes as any.

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

Dude - gauge reader lenses - $119, and are considered sports glasses for insurance. Get something stronger than the readers you use now.

Then make your choice of the best Uwatec based on the characteristics. :) :snicker:

Welcome to Prescription Dive Masks 1-800-538-2878.

Dude - gauge reader lenses - $119, and are considered sports glasses for insurance. Get something stronger than the readers you use now.

Then make your choice of the best Uwatec based on the characteristics. :) :snicker:

:hugs: How did I know you would say something like that? :laughing: Babyduck made me a fair offer for her Luna sans trans but as stated, it is absolutely huge and feels like it weighs a ton (on land.) Maybe it's too hard to teach old dogs new tricks without an overwhelming urgency or technical imperative. I also like the idea of Sweetie and me having the same PDC. If I choose to do more technical stuff down the road I'll give more credit to the technical capabilities of the Luna.

Next NC dive trip (Aug.) should earn my wreck cert but on a single Nitrox cylinder so I don't know what that really means. If I'm doing any penetration dives I'll want doubles or some type of bailout cylinder. I think the wreck cert is some kind of rec hype class with little to no meaning expect possibly the depth of the dive (100+.)

But, by all means, I'd like to hear lots of opinions, pro and con.

magnifier.jpg

Reactions: Jax
Why am I not surprised that a Gator living in the hallowed land of the Bulldogs is having a hard time making up his mind? :D

Get thee a prescription mask, then whip out the credit card and get you and your gal a couple of Cobalts. The pain in your wallet is only temporary and will be more than offset by the permanent joy of using your Cobalt.*

Downing
UGa Class of 1980

* The above stated opinion, besides being dead on 100% true and accurate, is based completely on my personal experience as per your request. Woof, woof.

Thanks, Downing. I appreciate your unbiased, yet experienced, opinion. :D

Is this in focus? :uga:

No, really, I love the Cobalt OLED and appreciate your input. The ease of use and functionality of the Cobalt are terrific too. They're still having some early adopter issues, but aren't all the PDC's having one issue or another? So, 2 x $1,200 = $2,400.00 for the Cobalts plus 2 x $119 = $238 for the masks equals $2,638. (Oceanic PP2.1 about $1,500 for two.)

But don't let my reply deter further input. My hope is this thread will help me and others, who are sitting on the fence, make up their mind with the least amount of buyer's remorse possible. :)

:eek:fftopic:

Slightly off topic entry: Those SB friends advocating corrective lenses my not be totally off base, as I consider also that the corrective lenses would also allow me to actually see the markings on the camera housing as apposed to having to memorize the control positions and buttons. I've learned squinting while at depth does no good :D

:focus:

I know it does not answer the question (I don't have enough experience to comment on computers), but I have just been introduced to teh wonderful world of varifocal contact lenses.
This has reopened a whole world of being able to both read fine print and be able to see enough to drive without bumping into things, all without the use of glasses.
On teh other hand, maybe it doesn't help, as it would only widen the choices open to you.
John

Thanks, Downing. I appreciate your unbiased, yet experienced, opinion. :D

Is this in focus? :uga:

No, really, I love the Cobalt OLED and appreciate your input. The ease of use and functionality of the Cobalt are terrific too. They're still having some early adopter issues, but aren't all the PDC's having one issue or another? So, 2 x $1,200 = $2,400.00 for the Cobalts plus 2 x $119 = $238 for the masks equals $2,638. (Oceanic PP2.1 about $1,500 for two.)

But don't let my reply deter further input. My hope is this thread will help me and others, who are sitting on the fence, make up their mind with the least amount of buyer's remorse possible. :)

At least it's a fair fight since Uga's using only his hindquarters. :mooner:

Seriously, a Cobalt's a lot of $$ and even more so when, like I did, you have to buy two to keep the wife happy. And prescription masks aren't cheap either. But the only time I experienced buyer's remorse was when the credit card bill was due and that pain went away a long time ago.

I certainly get that the more you spend on gear the less you have to spend on other stuff, like eating. I'm glad that I've finally reached the point where my gear choices are all settled, bought and paid for.

Except maybe my fins...

I can see where the prescription mask/contact lens would be an answer to being able to read the computer/Camera settings. I would suggest looking at a Datamask. I can see the display just fine and I don't need a prescription lens to read the display, I do wear glasses on land but haven't checked into a prescription mask. I am getting old so I may need to do so. The graphics of the Cobalt are indeed impressive, I saw one at the LDS scuba show. If you don't want hoseless AI then for get I said anything.:D

I vote for a Datamask, or something else.:rofl3::rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom