Why bungee in a pocket (instead of nylon or dacron line)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I finally added a pocket to my drysuit, and last weekend on a dive boat someone suggested adding a bungee to the D-ring to make clipping off items in the pocket easier. Sounded like a great idea! Then I started thinking - why bungee instead of a nylon line? I don't expect to pull on the bungee so much it stretches. Nylon line is more flexible, so easier to tuck in to the pocket? And nylon line won't rot out on the inside like bungee will over time. So I started thinking about using nylon line slightly thinner diameter than bungee, but never saw any reference to anyone using it. Does everyone use bungee just because one guy way back then and everyone just copied? Or is there some obvious reason I'm missing?

For a DUI TLS with a new DUI large zipper pocket

I use a nylon line about 3/16" in diameter. I've never felt the need to stretch the line.

Why would you not use the bungee to pull on it? In my experience, It makes it easier to get things in and out your pocket.
None of the bungees on my drysuits have shown any signs of rotting.

Take care,
niels

I cut the d-rings right out of any pocket I get, then use bungee from the front to the back of the pocket. Bungee is stiffer as mentioned above which is nice, and also stretches which is also nice. In my left pocket for safety gear I tied a one inch loop to keep my whistle, mirror, and car key in a specific spot in my pocket.

The one advantage of bungee that I can think of is that you could conceivably make the loops smaller, since you would be able to stretch them. But I haven't had any problems as a result of having long loops.

I put one loop in each side of the pocket. Things I expect to use a lot are clipped to the front one; things I rarely use are clipped to the back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom