Best Bulky Knot to stop a Bungee from slipping out of a BC Pocket Grommet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-104343_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-104343_Google.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 75
I'd probably use one half of a double fisherman's knot, with a washer if the bungee you wish to use is much smaller than the grommet hole.

Why stop at 8? Add more turns to a figure 8 to make it a 9, 10, 11.

BTW climbers use a figure 9 as it's easier to untie than a figure 8 which can be impossible to untie if it's been subjected to a significant load.

Why stop at 8? Add more turns to a figure 8 to make it a 9, 10, 11.

BTW climbers use a figure 9 as it's easier to untie than a figure 8 which can be impossible to untie if it's been subjected to a significant load.
Yeah you could even do this,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220627-120852_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220627-120852_Google.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 72
I just use things like a rubber or plastic washer as a backer behind the oversized hole.

Thank you all for your suggestions, very much appreciated!!

Here is what I did:

1. I ran the bungee (doubled) from the outside to the inside of the pocket through the grommet.
  2. Made an overhand knot by the doubled bungee on the inside side of the grommet, it was bulky since the bungee is doubled.
  3. I made an overhand knot on the outside of the grommet and ran the bungee twice making it an even bulkier knot on the outside.
  4. The length of the loop from the inside knot to the tip is 32cm. The part of the bungee loop outside the pocket is 19cm.
  5. I am going to try this configuration diving with some tools attached to determine if it is acceptable and do the same in the pocket on the left or if need to adjust.
  6. I may try the knots in the video @lowviz provided (with thanks).
Any further suggestions or constructive criticism please?

Here are some pictures:
Outside pocket/grommet:
P6291427.JPG

The inside of the pocket/grommet:
P6291435.JPG

The full picture, the loop is extending approx. 19cm outside the pocket:
P6291438.JPG

Back
Top Bottom