Best Bulky Knot to stop a Bungee from slipping out of a BC Pocket Grommet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I need ideas on what will be the best knot to use on the end of a bungee running through a BC pocket grommet (from inside of the pocket to the outside) to stop the bungee from sliding through the grommet back to the inside of the pocket please. I am putting this bungee to make a loop inside the pocket to attach tools and line cutter to the bungee all kept inside the pocket (instead of using a leg pocket). The pockets on the BC are big and wide and will fit all liner cutters/sheers/etc. that I normal put in my wetsuit pockets.

I went through many of the videos on YouTube and other sites to find an appropriate knot but I am not sure that I have found the right one so far. Does anyone have a suggestion for knot that will be big/bulky to not allow the bungee to slide out of the grommet?

I'd appreciate links for videos for the suggested knot.

Note: I am using a 5mm bungee.

Tie it to something, like a D ring

The bungee is going to be inside the BC pocket, goes through the grommet to the outside. The knot will be on the outside of the grommet/pocket. The D'ring will stop the bungee from slipping out but not "in"

How big is the grommet? Could try stuffing the 5mm bungie through a 4mm brass or quality SS washer. Tie a single overhand knot on one side of the washer and run the other side back through to the BC. The knot shouldn't pull through the washer without side serious effort and the washer will not go through the grommet.

You could also add a second washer and knot on the inside of the bc pocket to keep it from pulling outside and becoming a snag hazard.

Another method could be to use cave line to secure a washer inside and out with a loop on the inside that you tie the bungie to.

Send the bungee out through the grommet, put a figure of eight and send the standing part back in to fill the grommet. Nice and neat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom