DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the original topic, @rddvet hit the nail on the head a few pages back. What I see happening is that SB Member A sees a post under their New Posts alert, believes they have something to contribute to the topic in reply, and goes ahead and posts, perhaps not realizing that the post was in the GUE forum or perhaps not realizing that the topic implicitly carries all the GUE principles with it that they may not be familiar with. Member A's reply probably makes sense in the broader world of diving, but maybe it doesn't make sense in light of some bit about GUE diving that one would have to know. Then, SB Member B, who does know GUE diving, replies (perhaps too curtly) that Member A's reply doesn't make sense or is irrelevant in the GUE realm, or something like that. Member A is now indeed "interested in what GUE does" and starts probing with further replies. This can be an opportunity for Member A to learn what GUE does, but sometimes a Member A will turn it into an inquisition on GUE's practices. Probing why GUE teaches doing something the way they do is fine, but letting it become an argument that it should be done some other way isn't what this forum is about.

Nobody cared then and more than nobody cares now, except you. Time to let it go.
So if you don't care, then why didn't you let it go?

I actually believe that your post above is accurate when it comes to Doc's experience.....

"Nobody from from GUE cared then, and nobody from GUE cares now...." .

I did padi open water training in 2004, something was wrong with my instructor, he probably didn't pay any fees. I've never received my Open Water Card. Once I got in touch with Padi, they blacklisted him. I had to repeat open water training at another padi instructor and had to pay again.

I did open water training again, I did only 2 open water dives, it was sufficient instead of 4 dives. Offcours I received my certification.

When I took padi advanced open water training, my instructor forgot the dive gear for himself. We did one dive without an instructor.

I'm not saying things are perfect at Gue. But training and quality control are much better at GUE than padi in my experience. I don't care about my padi training, life goes on.

If somebody sent me 500 euro I will never complain about padi again. 😉

When you lay out that much cash for a class you expect that you aren’t going to get saddled with someone that is totally lost because it really can cause you to fail as well
Happened to me in Cave 1 with a guy that was full cave from a different agency. He spent half the time trying to prove to the instructor his "other way" was better. It wasnt the reason I got a provisional... :) ...but it really slowed the class down.

Its becoming harder to get any good information pertinent to DIR here without uneducated or uninformed people chiming in. Or more commonly, just coming to take a knock at GUE.
I don't mind at all if people who are "uneducated or uinformed" about GUE chime in here if they are at least remotely interested in learning about GUE's approach. Yes, it creates a little "background noise" for someone who posted a GUE-focused question and simply wants a GUE-focused answer and nothing more, but that's the cost of helping others learn. What is not acceptable is someone who comes in with an axe to grind and no interest in learning. How is that productive for anyone here?

I don't mind at all if people who are "uneducated or uinformed" about GUE chime in here if they are at least remotely interested in learning about GUE's approach. Yes, it creates a little "background noise" for someone who posted a GUE-focused question and simply wants a GUE-focused answer and nothing more, but that's the cost of helping others learn. What is not acceptable is someone who comes in with an axe to grind and no interest in learning. How is that productive for anyone here?
I agree and you said it more clearly than me. I have zero problem with people who have a true interest even if they never pursue GUE training. I was one of those people at one time. My only issue is the people who come in and comment and have no idea what subforum they're in and then get upset when people point out that they're giving advice in a forum for which they have no related experience. Or the sock puppets that just want to say GUE is a cult.
I work 10 minutes from Scientology's main florida HQ. I know what a cult is. GUE may is far from them.

Happened to me in Cave 1 with a guy that was full cave from a different agency. He spent half the time trying to prove to the instructor his "other way" was better. It wasnt the reason I got a provisional... :) ...but it really slowed the class down.
Could have just done an evalution dive prior to the class. Not that hard for an instructor to find out if a student is good enough.

I agree and you said it more clearly than me. I have zero problem with people who have a true interest even if they never pursue GUE training. I was one of those people at one time. My only issue is the people who come in and comment and have no idea what subforum they're in and then get upset when people point out that they're giving advice in a forum for which they have no related experience.
I'll go even further and say this forum need not be an echo chamber and that sometimes it may be interesting to hear from others how something is done in a non-GUE way for purposes of contrast. But I completely agree with you that when someone with GUE experience politely explains to such other person why their suggestion is not consistent with the GUE approach, the other person should not get "upset."

Worse yet, is derailing the original topic with a lengthy, strongly worded dissent as to why the non-GUE way of doing something is better. And we who allow ourselves to engage with that are just as guilty of helping derail the topic. It IS the GUE forum, and while it's okay to probe why something isn't done a different way, this isn't the place to argue the point. By way of comparison, try posting an argument in the Solo Diving forum that nobody should dive alone and see how fast it gets deleted. Are they an "echo chamber" or "safe space," or are they just trying to discuss their own way of diving in relative peace?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom