DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did I and half the cave divers in florida learn about GUE?
I'm sure you're right about Florida. But there wouldn't be dozens of instructors in Europe and in the rest of the world if it wasn't for them being smarter buisiness people. It's not even a dig at them. I said other agencies should copy some of their stuff.
The skill part I don't see as you do, I know plenty people including rec divers with great trim, great bouyancy, great kicking and great buddy awareness. If the other agencies just weeded out some instructors and introducted some kind of QC, all be fine an dandy. The 'philosophy' nobody needs.
I learned about GUE because I physically saw these divers in the water and they impressed me overall more than the overall cave divers from other agencies.
I see them all the time. I have no idea what you (as a guys who's been cave diving for 10 years) see that I don't.
I don't compare gue people to the worst divers I see, I compare them to compentent divers.

In my opinion one big problem with forums and fb groups (the whole www) for a special topic is, that for a newbee or beginner it is impossible to see if the guy writing there is really an expert or just a "loud" a _hole with no clue. And usually the loud guys dominate... And a simple question like how do you deplay a SMB in best case evolves into a basic discussion about different types of SMBs. And eventually into "GUE is a sect...
A "safe space" might help here. But to be honest I doubt that. There is a mailing list run by GUE (quest mailing list), where only GUE members can post. No activity there, since years.
Maybe a mailing list is not an up-to-date approach... But I doubt that a forum will be more active...

I don't compare gue people to the worst divers I see, I compare them to compentent divers.
Not sure how it could be taken that I’m not saying the same thing. I’m comparing apples to apples. I don’t pick the worst divers I see and compare them to gue.

I am actually surprised at my level of ignorance.

I honestly did not realize it is a non-profit organization. Understanding that fact makes it easier for me to understand how they can price course well "above market" and conduct, even initial, training that is much longer than agencies that are trying desperately to turn a profit.

I think that the main issue that caused much of the hullabaloo with this particular thread is the title itself.......which then drives the entire thread...

"Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?"

It's just too broad of a question so it opened the door for just about anything either pro or con about GUE... It's like asking a witness on the stand....... "What's your opinion?" Door wide open!!!

As to a seperate or protected forum.... not sure why that would be necessary. If either GUE or Non-GUE folks don't like the whole topic or don't like what other folks are saying then they have the choice to engage or ignore it. If they choose to engage then you go from there.

However......... I can definitely see that a GUE diver / member might feel a strong need to respond if someone was providing completely false or dangerous information.......but I don't at all think that's the case in Doc's Harry's posts.

As a prior PADI instructor, I always felt that I was in a tough "boat". Sometimes I strongly felt the need to totally defend them and other times I strongly felt the need to totally "rail" on them. Now I've gotten to the point where I am happiest just ignoring them altogether.

It makes perfect sense to have a "segregated" forum. As long as it it clearly identified, then people who go there have some reasonable expectation that the advice/guidance is consistent with that particular organization.

The enforcement of that seemingly simple objective will become challenging without stifling discussion, but the basic premise is valid.

It is literally the worse. The only "marketing" is people like us, and the skills displayed by a subset of us (that I will almost surely never become part of).
:rofl3:

Buddy, the overzealous new fundi divers like yourself aren't exactly their best brand ambassadors.

Sorry can't be bothered to the rest of your post.

As to a seperate or protected forum.... not sure why that would be necessary.
This has been answered multiple times by multiple people. So you're either choosing to ignore/negate the point or didn't read the comments.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom