DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What constitutes “good” WRT design decisions changes over time as technology and knowledge increases , e.g., The Bakers Dozen.

I’m calling BS. Most divers might stick with the same instructor but you do not have to. I prefer diverse backgrounds and diving environments.
Bakers dozen was written like 20 years ago.

Dir isn’t the Bible. Stuff changes. Deep stops, some minor equipment points, some procedures have even changed. The core remains, because the core is really quite good.

I personally contend that most of the bakers dozen items are still applicable to todays diving. But that’s just me :)

Bakers dozen was written like 20 years ago.

Dir isn’t the Bible. Stuff changes. Deep stops, some minor equipment points, some procedures have even changed. The core remains, because the core is really quite good.

I personally contend that most of the bakers dozen items are still applicable to todays diving. But that’s just me :)

#5 is the only one I kinda agree with and #11 is straight up wrong by todays standards.

I feel like I need a real keyboard and my own thread for this one.

bakers dozen for dive computers has aged like milk. i was encouraged to use a petrel in my tech 2 class.
we didn't rely on it for planning or anything because it was a class, but yea
this is dumb:

7. Dive computers do not allow for diving helium in any format but the bulkiest and most questionable. It is very likely that new helium-based decompression computers will be inordinately conservative and suffer from all the limitations of air and Nitrox dive computers.

I don't know anyone not using a computer these days including AJ

BTW, I am fully aware the BD was written 20 years ago, that’s why I used it as my example. You mentioned there being good reasons for ___x____ so I picked the low hanging fruit.

The aversion to dive computers still exists and I’d actually like to hear the contemporary “good” reasons why. Isn’t that what this thread is about anyways? :wink:

BTW, I am fully aware the BD was written 20 years ago, that’s why I used it as my example. You mentioned there being good reasons for ___x____ so I picked the low hanging fruit.

The aversion to dive computers still exists and I’d actually like to hear the contemporary “good” reasons why. Isn’t that what this thread is about anyways? :wink:
I do believe they develop dependence. A number of years ago I found myself on an impromptu dive trip in the Philippines. I didn’t have ANY gear with me. Glad I had an understanding of tables as no one else did. No one.

I also believe that they lead to less planning. “Just do what the box says” isn’t an uncommon sentiment.

Dependence and less planning are not great habits to fall in to.

bakers dozen for dive computers has aged like milk. i was encouraged to use a petrel in my tech 2 class.
we didn't rely on it for planning or anything because it was a class, but yea
this is dumb:

7. Dive computers do not allow for diving helium in any format but the bulkiest and most questionable. It is very likely that new helium-based decompression computers will be inordinately conservative and suffer from all the limitations of air and Nitrox dive computers.

I don't know anyone not using a computer these days including AJ
Accurate 20yrs ago. Totally not accurate now.

aversion exists where? in what context? who is averse to dive computers?
How can their CCR class exist without dive computers?

aversion exists where? in what context? who is averse to dive computers?
How can their CCR class exist without dive computers?
UTD that fountain of CCR wisdom :daydream: dove their manual CCR with tables for a time. Based on the average ppO2 of an OC ascent with deco gases "matching" a CCR ppO2 1.2 ascent. I dunno if they still do that or anyone even takes their CCR courses anymore. Cause yanno times change. It was dumb then (circa 2009-2010) and dumber now.

UTD that fountain of CCR wisdom :daydream: dove their manual CCR with tables for a time. Based on the average ppO2 of an OC ascent with deco gases "matching" a CCR ppO2 1.2 ascent. I dunno if they still do that or anyone even takes their CCR courses anymore. Cause yanno times change. It was dumb then (circa 2009-2010) and dumber now.
yea no idea what those dudes are even up to these days
having been told to use a computer in my GUE tech 2 class, I'm curious what this dude is talking about. I wonder what they told him when he took tech 2...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom