DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The statement is actually in the Advanced Mixed Gas Rebreather Standards, https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/uploads/files/sandp/currentYear/TDI/part 2/pdf/individual/TDI Diver Standards_34_Advanced_Mixed_Gas_CCR_Unit_Specific_Diver.pdf

"Proper understanding and implementation of team bailout procedures" could very well include a discussion about how it can break down under some circumstances.
Understanding may includes discussion, but implementation means real action, don't you think so?

Rule #1 for anyone starting out on their technical diving career…
Choose your instructor. It’s a long term relationship.

Rule #2…
Everyone learns in different ways. For some it’s regimented, others it’s collaborative. Make sure your instructor matches your preferences.

Rule #3….
Other students make for a good course. Incompetent students or those with a bad attitude hinder learning. It is up to the instructor to resolve this, possibly by sanctioning that student for the benefit of the course. Hard if there’s only two students. The instructor's experience matters most.

All instructors have their own style, skills and experiences, they’re human after all.

Obviously, if you’re wedded to the GUE ‘system', you’re restricted to choosing a GUE instructor. Those who aren’t committed to GUE have a much larger pool of instructors and agencies to choose from.

This is a statement that reeks of elitism with no basis in reality.
After 50+ years of diving, 2 decades of teaching, seeing more than a hundred instructors, I agree with them on this. Essential skills like trim and a modicum of buoyancy control are missing in most classes that I have witnessed. I also see instructors doing industry mandated bad things like multiple bounce ascents. Is GUE the answer? I really haven't seen their classes, so I can't answer that.

one good thing to come out of this was that it lifted all boats.
In my experience, since GUE was formed back in the 90s, instruction from other agencies have improved noticeably. Standards have gotten a bit better all around and instructors are making more money than they used to.

At least in Florida, if you didn't want to take a GUE course, the class you did end up in has a better chance to hold you to a higher standard than it would have when I started down this road 20 years ago and your instructor is probably making a better living than he would have as well.
I've seen it first hand.

I still think GUE is far and away the best tech agency out there for a number of reasons, but the industry has improved a bit as well.

and yea some GUE instructors are assholes. you should meet them first before you choose one if you can. same as any other agency

you should meet them first before you choose one
...AND their students. They'll give you a better idea about how they teach. That's true for any instructor.

...AND their students. They'll give you a better idea about how they teach. That's true for any instructor.
The nice thing about the GUE community is that people looking for this type of info can ask on any of the regional facebook group pages and expect to receive a lot of helpful advice from members...

yea but sometimes they have rose colored glasses on yanno?
Not as rosy as the instructor. :D People tend to have an inflated view of their prowess as a diver and instructor. I would rather hear from a student about their experience and read between the lines if need be.

Not as rosy as the instructor. :D People tend to have an inflated view of their prowess as a diver and instructor. I would rather hear from a student about their experience and read between the lines if need be.
sure but you cant tell how you'll vibe with a person by asking their students. exhibit A in this thread tons of people not fans of dean or beto or this one or that one etc.

you would never know from polling students from those dudes. obviously it's not always feasible but still

Nothing in DIR is fiat. It all has good reason.

What constitutes “good” WRT design decisions changes over time as technology and knowledge increases , e.g., The Bakers Dozen.

Rule #1 for anyone starting out on their technical diving career…
Choose your instructor. It’s a long term relationship.

I’m calling BS. Most divers might stick with the same instructor but you do not have to. I prefer diverse backgrounds and diving environments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom