DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also disagree with that.
would recommend you take your technical training from a variety of instructors.
consistent quality of instruction in higher level courses tends to be one of the benefits you tend to get with GUE as an agency. But exposing yourself to different instructors is generally a good thing at this level
Why ass-u-me that I don't?

OC tech training, CCR training, overhead training... all different disciplines and you need the best available.

sure but you cant tell how you'll vibe with a person by asking their students. exhibit A in this thread tons of people not fans of dean or beto or this one or that one etc.

you would never know from polling students from those dudes. obviously it's not always feasible but still
I used an "AND" for a reason. Talking with the instructor AND their students is preferable to just the instructor.
I prefer diverse backgrounds and diving environments.
Me too. The more approaches you get in training with various instructors, the better rounded the education. This is especially true in cave training. I had three different instructors going to full cave and each one gave me a different perspective.

Are we talking about the same book? "The Tao of Survival Underwater"?
IANTD Tek CCR Manual v. 7.1.4 doesn't mention it.

Exploration and Mixed Gas Diving Encyclopedia - The Tao of Survival Underwater - Sept 2008
Oh my oh my. How did I ever miss Chapter 16: Spiritual, Mental & Physical Training for Safe Diving and a Better Life...
But no mention of Chakra.

Does seem an interesting read for a rainy day.

Can I call BS on your comment?

We can all have different opinions, but there's no reason to denigrate that comment nor poster.

The perceived wisdom tends to stick with an instructor through your career as far as possible. Sure, having variety may work, but consistency and teaching style counts very highly for many people.

Denigration wasn't my intent so apologies for that.

You did say:
Rule #1 for anyone starting out on their technical diving career…
Choose your instructor. It’s a long term relationship.

That is not a rule hence the BS comment. I stated my preference and why I value it.
aversion exists where? in what context? who is averse to dive computers?
How can their CCR class exist without dive computers?

It cracks me up that people dig up GI3's Baker's dozen from decades ago which was never an official GUE publication or anything.

I thought that was from JJ? Not that it matters a whole lot.

Despite my mild trolling here I do have GUE buddies. I wouldn't even know about that list if my GUE friends hadn't pointed me towards it. Don't shoot the messenger man :wink:

My buddies giving me a hard time about my preference for computers are not on CCR, they are tech1. They love their ratio deco and it drives me nuts, but we make it work.

Denigration wasn't my intent so apologies for that.

You did say:
Rule #1 for anyone starting out on their technical diving career…
Choose your instructor. It’s a long term relationship.

That is not a rule hence the BS comment. I stated my preference and why I value it.

I thought that was from JJ? Not that it matters a whole lot.

Despite my mild trolling here I do have GUE buddies. I wouldn't even know about that list if my GUE friends hadn't pointed me towards it. Don't shoot the messenger man :wink:

My buddies giving me a hard time about my preference for computers are not on CCR, they are tech1. They love their ratio deco and it drives me nuts, but we make it work.

No computers isn’t a thing anymore. Same as no sidemount and no ccrs aren’t things anymore.

A lot of yall are saying all this **** doesn't happen anymore. I'm not regurgitating **** I've heard, I am telling you what my first hand experience has been.

It's quite possible we are losing something via interpretation but I am certainly not trying to be deceptive.

I'm not saying they don't have computers, I am saying they don't use them. I have seen several uwatec timers still in action and espoused as the way to go.

I will admit that when traveling my experiences have been much more in line with the descriptions here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think my local group is an outlier.

A lot of yall are saying all this **** doesn't happen anymore. I'm not regurgitating **** I've heard, I am telling you what my first hand experience has been.

It's quite possible we are losing something via interpretation but I am certainly not trying to be deceptive.

I'm not saying they don't have computers, I am saying they don't use them. I have seen several uwatec timers still in action and espoused as the way to go.

I will admit that when traveling my experiences have been much more in line with the descriptions here. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think my local group is an outlier.
Who doesn’t use them? I don’t know a single person who doesn’t use a computer.

I also can’t remember the last time I did a technical dive with someone who wasn’t GUE trained. 2017? It’s been a hot minute.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom