DIR- GUE Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why are non-GUE divers so interested in what GUE does?​

Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought it back, or so they say

Having said all of that, I believe you are right, just like in any organization, there are good people and people who are shite. The problem is, the shite people take it to extremes, like ignoring someone so blatantly others took notice and wondered if we had some sort of argument. The extremists will always be off-putting and ruin what may or may not be a good thing.

Organizations, like corporations, are run from the top, down. The attitude at the top gets shoved all the way to the bottom. When the people who run an agency like GUE don't respond at all to serious complaints about abusive, thieving instructors, then it's not just a problem with one bad apple or that bad apple in the ranks. It's also a problem with the head of the snake. That's what I learned from GUE. I certainly didn't get any other valuable lessons from that agency.

Organizations, like corporations, are run from the top, down. The attitude at the top gets shoved all the way to the bottom. When the people who run an agency like GUE don't respond at all to serious complaints about abusive, thieving instructors, then it's not just a problem with one bad apple or that bad apple in the ranks. It's also a problem with the head of the snake. That's what I learned from GUE. I certainly didn't get any other valuable lessons from that agency.
Which instructor stole from you?

Unfortunately, this thread opened old wounds for me. I'd just say that I complained to GUE about substandard training conditions and did not get any response. It was a few years ago but I won't forget it. And I moved on.

Which instructor stole from you?
Dean Marshall
About $1,200 in gear that I purchased from his shop, during a GUE class, at his suggestion to become more compliant with GUE standardization. Gear that I did not receive through intentional deceit.

I can also intend to dive on vacations with my wife with us both in poodle jackets and "traditional" short hose reg sets (even, god forbid, an AIR2!) and solo dive at times. Those practices (and intentions) do not automatically render me incapable of diving with different gear and methods (GUE team diving) when diving under different conditions (with a GUE team).

I had inquired about GUE training beyond the fundies I’ve already done. I was asked if I would commit to the DIR setup. My response was that I would fully comply when diving with GUE folks but that when I wasn’t I’d be doing whatever I want (I.e., SM or Choptima.)

Verbatim from a GUE instructor , “that’s going to be a problem.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom