Whuts up 808 membahs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yikes... any word on what happened?

Joey says the guy surfaced after about five minutes of going down. He then proceeded to go limp and sink. Joey unclipped the boat, motored over and dove in as he watched him sink. He had no mask or fins and struggled to go deep enough 30-40 ft, he said before catching his reg hose. He said it was like a nightmare trying to get to the guy who was slipping away... Then he had a tough time towing him up (280 pounds or so..) He then proceeded to get him back on the boat, do CPR, and after about 5-8 minutes he coughed up copious sea water and huge bubbles (surfactant?). The guy eventually came around and was oriented and coherant by the time the ambulance arrived. says the last thing he can remember was that he was going to dive the Corsair.....Joey says the tank had 1500 pounds of air left, so he was probably on the wreck for a bit when something happened.

I guess they will keep him and watch for ARDS a day or so...maybe run some tests at least. A very impressive save, I would say from Joey's account of the CPR effort as he swears the guy was looking pretty gone. Never a dull moment...

We had a couple drift off the other day in current and ..no SMB. People need to get hip to the SMB if they are going to dive here.

Wow!!! Both got lucky! I should dive with Cap't Joe more often.

At about 105ft i was feelin realllly narked out and apparently so was our instructor...never ever felt it this bad. While sitting on the line making our ascent, the line dropped off and all of a sudden we were back at 100 ft on the sand with the end of the bouey in our hands. I think harvey had to buddy up with the instructor and share her air. At first look i thought maybe you were blacked out, couldnt really tell.

We basically blew our safety stop and hit the surface.

hmmmm.

There was a number of people, well two at least, affected on this dive, so the finger would point to something you all had in common, your gas. Did anyone else fell bad?

If someone makes a rapid descent and passes out minutes/seconds after surfacing an AGE is the most likely cause; assuming no other medical conditions (i.e. cardiac events).

Or drowning/near drowning.

Uh why i called him Bob i do not know. I have been out with him like 10 times now. I guess i was a little over anxious writing that. He was a big hero yesterday, and then even took the rest of the group out to their second dive.

I dont think the diver was local but im not 100 percent. I overheard his buddy talking with joe and mentioning they were from the bay area. So im assuming they were visiting.

Catherine thanks for the details! Everything was so hectic on that boat it was really hard to get the full story, even from my instructor who seemed to only know a few details. We always dive with our scuba sausage and had we not surfaced close to the boat this time, we would have had to use it.

justleesa:
Thanks for the details Catherine, big hero Praise to Joey and get well soon to the guy

Hey- lets to everything possible to AVOID a story like this when I'm out there, okay? :eyebrow:

When I first read the OP I thought it said 150 feet... :confused: I'm glad I just read that wrong...

Back
Top Bottom