Whuts up 808 membahs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron, I agree about the SMB. Wildcard and I had people again today that did not have...we are thinking Alex will buy a set for the boat. He will if we suggest it...he even sunk money in a AED recently.

MilitantMedic:
The chances of actually having CO2 in the tanks is miniscule. The chances of a diver having CO2 retention at 105' under moderate to high exertion are very high. Combined with at least a small amount of narcosis, would make one fell pretty crappy.

On a small note I can tell you the tanks are good becuase I filled them...at the same time I filled my own tanks.

Ahhh. Just a thought MM.

catherine96821:
Ron, I agree about the SMB. Wildcard and I had people again today that did not have...we are thinking Alex will buy a set for the boat. He will if we suggest it...he even sunk money in a AED recently.

He should have them for sale. Divers on holiday love buying stuff, as you know so well...:wink:

yes, I think I will suggest that. Dennis, you're brilliant, maybe you should get a job.

Diver Dennis:
Hmmmm.... This is what SexSea posted, and he came up to find the other diver in trouble...

Yeah Kristy (instructor) told me on the boat that she was feeling really narked out on the bottom as well, at which time she said she had to check her bubble flow to see which way was up and she had to stick really close to her buddy. I dunno, maybe i misheard...but i doubt it.

I think, ya you must have misheard.

RonFrank:
Maybe it's time for the Ops to enforce this need of the HIP SMB! Some Ops do not allow divers to go down without an SMB. If you don't have one, they provide such at a price. The Temptation out of Jupiter, FL comes to mind.

As for what happened, and why first my applause to the Capt. for saving the diver. It would sound like the DM's really had their hands full, and unlike Dennis, I think that bad air was not to blame, but rather heavy current, and divers who were beyond their skills or training.

Getting narced at 105' is rather normal, and C02 buildup is much more likely in current.

Skipping safety stops after hitting 100+ feet is foolish, and a good way to get hurt. The boat may have left the mooring line, but the divers certainly did not need to, and the Capt. would know where they were unless they got blown off.

I'm pleased to hear know one else was hurt, and that the one diver did not die. Had it not been for the quick actions of the Capt, I think things would have turned out a lot worst.
Go back to basic OW and reread. They are SAFETY stops. These are within the NO DECO LIMITS. This means that you don't HAVE to stop. They are for extra SAFETY only. If you have to blow them, the limits you were diving under are fine without a SAFETY stop.
Nice job Joey. One less dead diver thanks to your efforts.

Umm...according to PADI Tables ALL dives 100' and deeper are "safety stop required."

They are not deco stops though. By required it means that if you blow one you go to a 12? Gotta look that one up, hour SI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom