Whuts up 808 membahs!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finally got around to my e-mail and I see this string recounting yesterday's dive. As far as my air share, (I didn't pass out), When I came up to the top of the line and saw there was no longer a line to the boat I hung around up at the milk carton to see what we were going to do. Which unfortuneately was nothing and I burned too much are waiting. We all hung on for about 5 minutes by which time all I could see was bubbles all around me.

I dropped down to the dive master who was down a bit deeper and she indicated I should air share since by that time I was down to about 5oo lbs after the wait at the float. So she and I shared air to the surface. We didn't quite get the full 3 (she said we made a stop for 2 + minutes) due to the ball sinkining about the time we began the airshare from the current and the bodies hanging on it while the line wasn't hooked to a boat.
We had to swim back up from 80 feet, and I was so busy watching her on the air share I forgot to watch my depth and pulled her up a bit faster than she would have gone otherwise.

I should mention here that the Divemaster Kristy from IDH did a great job as far as I'm concerned considering all the "out of the ordinary" stuff going down.

Other than the Diver that Joey fished out everybody made back in good shape because of the 3 divemasters on the boat did a good job of getting everyone together on the surface and getting us loaded up fast. The current was fierce.

Joey, Kristy and the two divers that brought the guy back with CPR were definitely heros on this one.
I'll dive the Nori Z any time.

onfloat:
I'm betting CO2 build-up. Heavy current and overwork at that depth would contribute to the narced feeling and could cause someone to black out.

That might be true but to have 2 divers, at least, have problems it might be a stretch. Were there any others that did not feel well?

Just for the record other than the one diver that Joey rescued, no other divers that I know of were feeling any discimfort or illness.

Hmmmm.... This is what SexSea posted, and he came up to find the other diver in trouble...

We dove corsair first. Current was strong even at max depth. At about 105ft i was feelin realllly narked out and apparently so was our instructor...never ever felt it this bad.

The chances of actually having CO2 in the tanks is miniscule. The chances of a diver having CO2 retention at 105' under moderate to high exertion are very high. Combined with at least a small amount of narcosis, would make one fell pretty crappy.

On a small note I can tell you the tanks are good becuase I filled them...at the same time I filled my own tanks.

catherine96821:
We had a couple drift off the other day in current and ..no SMB. People need to get hip to the SMB if they are going to dive here.

Maybe it's time for the Ops to enforce this need of the HIP SMB! Some Ops do not allow divers to go down without an SMB. If you don't have one, they provide such at a price. The Temptation out of Jupiter, FL comes to mind.

As for what happened, and why first my applause to the Capt. for saving the diver. It would sound like the DM's really had their hands full, and unlike Dennis, I think that bad air was not to blame, but rather heavy current, and divers who were beyond their skills or training.

Getting narced at 105' is rather normal, and C02 buildup is much more likely in current.

Skipping safety stops after hitting 100+ feet is foolish, and a good way to get hurt. The boat may have left the mooring line, but the divers certainly did not need to, and the Capt. would know where they were unless they got blown off.

I'm pleased to hear know one else was hurt, and that the one diver did not die. Had it not been for the quick actions of the Capt, I think things would have turned out a lot worst.

RonFrank:
Skipping safety stops after hitting 100+ feet is foolish, and a good way to get hurt. The boat may have left the mooring line, but the divers certainly did not need to, and the Capt. would know where they were unless they got blown off.
The way I read it (having not dove the Corsair) the buoy is a milk jug, and 15-20 ft under water... not really anything to keep a boat load of divers on the line.

Besides, the 3 minute stop is for added comfort and quicker off gassing, it is not a mando deco stop. While highly suggested, it really isn't mandatory. If something like this were to happen on one of my dives, you could bet I would be on the ceiling as quickly and safely as possible, to see *** was going on. That area is known for its currents. The last thing you want is 15+ divers spread out in the ocean.

Again, Bravo Zulu to Cap't Joe for a job well done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom