Whose moronic idea was it to stamp the cylinder crown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I confess, it was me who decided to stamp them there, at the time the other idea was to stamp them on the inside and use special hi pressure scopes to peer inside to make sure the date was good. I made a mistake because with the stamps on the outside custom paint jobs are much harder to achieve. I apologize to the custom paint scuba industry. ;(

Look at ANY high pressure gas storage cylinder like at a welding shop, hospital, party store, or paintball range. You will begin to notice a strong pattern…

What is the history of cylinder markings? Who came up with the idea? Since PADI was the first commercial operation in existence, who made it compulsory? Don't answer if you don't know the answer.
I don't think PADI was involved in early tank markings. This is my oldest and it predates PADI by a few years.
1719121231923.jpeg

1719121265935.jpeg

What is the history of cylinder markings? Who came up with the idea? Since PADI was the first commercial operation in existence, who made it compulsory? Don't answer if you don't know the answer.
With 5 minutes of searching you can find the answers, just do the due diligence on the source. Tha actual law in the U.K. for cylinder testing is 10 years, but no compressor operator would fill diving cylinder without it meeting the ISO.

Recently I visited an address to purchase a cylinder which the owner was selling. It had about 3 stamps on the crown which looked quite dodgy. I questioned why they were there and he said it was part of scuba safety standards. I asked him is that everywhere. He told me the UK was 3 years, the US was 5, China was 3 and Thailand was 7. I asked him why such a discrepancy. He just told me I was lucky I don’t dive in Australia where they purposely punch holes in your cylinder so as to make you purchase a brand new one every few years. I declined to buy the cylinder on grounds I wanted a second opinion.
I live in Australia and I have never known of anyone having a hole punched in their tank. I have been diving for 36 years and have at the moment 10 cylinders so I think I know what I am talking about. By the way, the various standards (eg Australian and international) all dictate where the stamps need to be put.

Relates to ALL cylinders which have something inside under pressure, air, CO2, O2 etc. All need to be tested and stamped, the time period depends on use and country. Predates scuba diving that is for sure.

It would have been much more polite, professional and expressive of the real situation for the OP to say that it doesn't understand the matter instead of using such low class insults and attacking others. The OP is positioning itself as an "expert" who has a license to attack and insult others when it is actually the one that is ignorant and uneducated about standards and the sciences behind these standards.

This unjustified attack using low class insults is taking place in a "green zone" that is supposed to be free of attacks and use of such language and style. It is a violation of SB T&C for this forum. I hope that this matter will be addressed appropriately and promptly.

Tell me what sciences and history is behind Scuba standards?
I assume you don't really mean the entire science behind scuba standards, because that would require a book. In the context of this thread, I assume you are referring to the standards for the hydrostatic inspection of scuba cylinders. The answer is simple. There are no scuba standards for the hydrostatic inspection of scuba cylinders. The standards and rules for those cylinders apply to ALL cylinders, only a fraction of which are for scuba, so there really are no scuba standards for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom