Whose moronic idea was it to stamp the cylinder crown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you'd like to buy an argument, I can send you a quote.

Fact:
In my clique, most of us spent less than 3 min on the tank page of training. It was not treated as important, to any of us.

Our instructors were the dive operator, not a contractor for the LDS. There is no telling nothing. They were all directly tied to the profitability of the op.

Our tanks were screwed up.

What is the history of cylinder markings? Who came up with the idea? Since PADI was the first commercial operation in existence, who made it compulsory? Don't answer if you don't know the answer.

Cylinders have been used for holding compressed gasses since before SCUBA was invented. It's regulated by governmental agencies that handle hazardous materials transport and storage like the US DOT/PHMSA, UK HSE, and Transport Canada. You can use google or wikipedia to find more information.

What is the history of cylinder markings? Who came up with the idea? Since PADI was the first commercial operation in existence, who made it compulsory? Don't answer if you don't know the answer.
Cylinder testing and markings existed long before people were using them for scuba. PADI was not even close to the first commercial scuba diving organization in existence. Even if they were, they have nothing to do with the markings on the cylinders.

Just as a point of information, When NAUI was formed in 1960 in Houston, there was uncertainty as to who would lead it. Eventually, the Los Angeles group that had created the meeting of instructors that created NAUI took control, and their Al Tillman Became NAUI instructor #1. The group that almost took control was from Chicago, headed by Ralph Erickson. They became the Chicago branch of NAUI instead. NAUI had perpetual problems with money, surviving on donations from groups like Skin Diving Magazine and one year from a big loan from Bill High. In 1966, on the edge of bankruptcy, NAUI withdrew from national efforts to focus on California, and they canceled a major instructor training program scheduled in Chicago when they did. Because of that, the Chicago branch of NAUI formed a new organization, PADI. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the marking of cylinders.

"moronic"
The title has already been addressed by the mods. It must of been acceptable since it's still here.
just because the OP is ignorant of the sciences, history and industry rules behind the standards.
Tell me what sciences and history is behind Scuba standards?

I confess, it was me who decided to stamp them there, at the time the other idea was to stamp them on the inside and use special hi pressure scopes to peer inside to make sure the date was good. I made a mistake because with the stamps on the outside custom paint jobs are much harder to achieve. I apologize to the custom paint scuba industry. ;(

Look at ANY high pressure gas storage cylinder like at a welding shop, hospital, party store, or paintball range. You will begin to notice a strong pattern…

I don't think PADI was involved in early tank markings. This is my oldest and it predates PADI by a few years.
1719121231923.jpeg

1719121265935.jpeg

With 5 minutes of searching you can find the answers, just do the due diligence on the source. Tha actual law in the U.K. for cylinder testing is 10 years, but no compressor operator would fill diving cylinder without it meeting the ISO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom