Whose moronic idea was it to stamp the cylinder crown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom line, I don't see this changing anytime soon. Since you are in the UK, maybe reach out to King Charles and see if he can get this on the PM's agenda.

Lol 😅 😅 😅

🤣🤣🤣

Toyota motor corporation invented the QR code for their warehouse logistics several decades ago. iPhone can scan any QR code. Anyone can punch a stamp into the crown and take the cylinder to their LDS and have it filled. QR code can tell the LDS, the owner's name, year of manufacturer, test date, inspection date. Whether it's been rolled, etc. Stickers don't fade or come off in salt water.
Lasers have dropped significantly in the last ten years. Be pretty easy to bzzt a code into the metal.
From a metallurgical standpoint, I wonder what is less damaging to the substrate?

Everybody has a cellphone. I have seen other tanks over the years that I almost had to take scrubbies to in order to read the mismash of characters; everyone has a cellphone now.

Not really weighing in one way or another. I am no fan of how deep some people beat stamps into thinner tanks though.

Lasers have dropped significantly in the last ten years. Be pretty easy to bzzt a code into the metal.
From a metallurgical standpoint, I wonder what is less damaging to the substrate?
There was a trend not long ago with people etching designs on their tanks. Many of the cylinder manufacturers issued advisories against laser etching tanks. So, it seems they’ve decided that the stamping is less detrimental.

I have no idea what the requirements are in the UK. In the US, an epoxy embedded label is an option for a permanent mark. If this were a better option than the stamping method most often used, then I'm sure we'd see it.
We do. We see it any time somebody has a composite or fiber wrapped tank. That's the method on those.

That's all you really see for SCBA tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom