Whose fault is it when an accident happens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you really misunderstand what I was saying,,I agree that most problem students show signs long before a problem...but there is still the unexpected...I have seen equipment failures blamed on instructors....what I'm am trying to say in only a few words is that this sport is demanding both physically and mentally...not everyone can do it...and accidents do happen no matter how prepared we are...ultimately it is every divers responsibility to check their equipment and make sure it is functioning properly
It is every divers' responsibility to do so, and it is every instructors' responsibility to assure that every student has, in point of fact, done so.
...it is also our own responsibility to make sure we are in good health and condition to dive...
It is every divers' responsibility to do so, and it is every instructors' responsibility to assure that every student has, in point of fact, done so.
I also disagree with you about the bolting student...I have seen exercises were a problem could happen and they are very controlled, one on one...on the other hand I have seen a person suddenly panic and make a uncontrolled accent in which no one was able to stop them...things do happen...I guess maybe in my 34 years of diving I've just had the opportunity to experiance some of the stranger and more unexpected happenings...:confused:
In 50 years of diving, 36 of them teaching, I've never had a student bolt on me. I know that other instructors have and I know that has cost the life of students. Perhaps that's one of the differences between students who are taught a suite of freediving skills and breathhold skills and and those who get a weekend course.

Outside of a very few limited scenarios, IMO it is the diver who is ultimately responsible for their diving, and anything that may go wrong.

That's true, but the industry works overtime to convince people that they are not responsible for themselves. The industry's dominant business model is what I call "elephant diving" - line up, and remember, nothing bad can happen to you as long as your trunk is wrapped around the tail of the elephant in front of you.

Unless your SMB is wound up in the prop,

it's your fault.
oh...if they leave you, you could make an argument for that.

Divers need to make a serious attempt to be on the Captain's radar before splashing.

*bring him breakfast in a bag
*wear a nice suit
*converse about his life, the current,
* somethin

One of the major mistakes divers make is being dismissive of the captain. He is more than our bellhop. Make sure he knows your plan, and will miss you if you are not back on that boat.

I'd rather take practical approaches to my own safety than play the *blame game*

I don't know. I think some LDS are so short of money, they let people sign up for scuba training without reservation. I think that scuba agencies are so short of money, they are lowering standards.

I saw an 60 ish over weight man who huffed and puffed so much after doing his water treading that he was light headed. He barely finished 150 yards of fin and snorkel swim and gave up for another day. To me, he was an accident waiting to happen. It is sad that he was passed through the system. He did eventually meet the minimum standard ... but a statistic waiting to happen.

I saw an 60 ish over weight man who huffed and puffed so much after doing his water treading that he was light headed. He barely finished 150 yards of fin and snorkel swim and gave up for another day. To me, he was an accident waiting to happen. It is sad that he was passed through the system. He did eventually meet the minimum standard ... but a statistic waiting to happen.

But the credit card was approved!!!

In any serious pursuit, training and certification functions as a barrier to entry, and has role to identify poorly suited individuals and prevent their entry or alter the traits that make them unsuitable. The problem is, that's not as profitable when your business comes from issuing credentials.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom