• OMS

Votes: 34 10.2%
  • Zeagle

Votes: 20 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 47 14.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew BP/W'ers were a contentious group, but I had no idea when I started this poll this sort of thing would ensue. It's always interesting to read this type of stuff. I wonder who makes out better from online bickering? The ones involved or the ones who are not?

riguerin:
Welcome to the board :wavey: I recall running into Tobin and Al at Laguna Sea Sport a while back. Was that your sweet little pink DSS wing ?

Yes, that was me. I was hangin out with my dad and his friend tobin.:14: We dive there alot because Gordan and Tammy Boyvin are so nice to us. Next time you see me, practice your DIR skills with us. Basic 5, buoyancy, balance, trim, and propulsion. I'm still woking on backing up. But that's a topic for a different thread.

I have an OxyCheq backplate with a Signature 40 lb wing. The Signature wing is pretty well made, but the finish on the OxyCheq backplate leaves much to be desired. The sharp unfinished edges are inexcusable. If I was going to purchase another bp/w, it would be from DSS. (I voted for DSS.)

UFScubaDiver:
Oxycheq.
1) Its local and I can visit the facility
2) Patricks customer service and attention to detail in his products is outstanding
3) Mach V Extreme wow

-Tom
OxyCheq wings are well made, but outstanding is about the last word I'd use for the bp and sta. The edges are terribly finished. I've cut myself on the frakking thing too many times. I'd have to see a huge improvement in attention to detail before I'd purchase another.

albane:
Hey kraken,

Good luck with your enterprise I hope it works for you.

It's rare to find someone who actually makes there own products.

Don’t let the haters bring you down.

Not only does he make his own products but I have 2 of his plates. When I first contacted him about the plate he asked a few questions. I.E. physical dimensions (height, weight, etc), stainless or aluminum, if stainless, how heavy I wanted it, attachment points, singles or doubles, etc, etc.

Now I know that there are alot of manufactures that have great plates but when it comes to "custom" you will get no better plate that one of the Kraken's plates. Because he does make it for YOU and not everyone else.

I wish everyone the best of luck.

Jeremy

Jarrett:
I knew BP/W'ers were a contentious group, but I had no idea when I started this poll this sort of thing would ensue. It's always interesting to read this type of stuff. I wonder who makes out better from online bickering? The ones involved or the ones who are not?

The non-bickerers make out better. :rofl3: Free entertainment :popcorn:

:blinking:

I have 2 FredT plates. AL and SS. I like 'em. Plenty of holes, the hand holds are nice when I have to move my rig around with a tank mounted. The bottom corners on the plates are fluted a bit so it does not dig into your back when gearing up. Not that it's a big deal, but it might help on long walks to a shore dive. And he uses the best corrosion resistent materials. More important though is his customer service. He went way out of his way to help out a new diver, me at the time.

I use an Oxycheq 45# donut wing. Has a few patched pinholes but still kicking.
Again, great customer service here as well.

I'm about to purchase my first bp/w, actually my first set of gear. Here's why I put my vote in for DSS and why I'm going to buy from them:

1. Great products
2. Great prices
3. American made
4. Local, owner-operated company
5. By divers, for divers
6. Customer service far above and beyond the call of duty

Here's my example: I express a buyer's interest in bp/w on another thread here at SB. I get PMs from Tobin and Al offering advice. Al invites me to come on over to the shop and check out the rig for myself. Says "bring a wetsuit and a tank." Next thing I know, he's drilling me in the Basic 5 in his pool!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom