Who's Up for Planning a Road Trip!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For us it is a road trip. It is a 2,000 mile round trip road trip. We are taking buses so we don't have to drive and, Professor Clint Davis, Fulbright Scholar and Professor of Anthropology is coming along to provide a unique diving and cultural experience. We are going to be hitting several different areas and Professor Davis is going to be there the whole time giving us the cultural low down... It should be very interesting.

We are going to be hiking as we go up to waterfalls where we can also dive, snorkel or swim. the falls are supposed to be beautiful... Overall, there will be 7 dives included as well as hotel all for only $399. The entire trip last 6 days...

The waterfalls at the end of the hike. Diving is allowed.

sorry, i forgot to add where this place is located...

The Lagoon of La Media Luna is located in the center of Mexico, in the middle of the State of San Luis Potosi. Between mountains 3000 ft. above sea level in the valley of Rio Verde, near the Ejido el Jabali. La Media Luna is a warm water spring with a pleasant temperature that goes from 78F to 80 F and the maximum depth is 188.5 ft. Diving is a year round adventure at Media Luna.

John, if my trip to the Philippines in February falls through, I'd be interested on a road trip.

Looks cool...is it a road trip though? Where is the place? Donde esta Media Luna?

I checked it out after another post by LVX but the current trip through Toms is booked w/ waiting list.

John, I'd consider putting together a trip together with you if you want. While I don't consider myself fluent, my spanish plenty good enough to get by (minor in college/studied history in Spain) and I'm comfortable traveling in the Mexican interior after working on both sides of the border the last few years before Austin. A group would help reduce the travel expense.

A close friend owns a leather company a few hours from there who said he'd try and meet there to dive if I ever come down.

Either way, Media la luna is on my to-do list.

The mine sounds cool (no way I'm not taking a backup) but I still need to read up on it.

Mas tarde... happy hour is calling!

I'm in, John. After the past few crazy weeks at work and the ones coming up, I'll be ready for some lake time.

Great! Are you thinking Media Luna or the Bonne Terre Mine?

The Lagoon of La Media Luna is located in the center of Mexico, in the middle of the State of San Luis Potosi. Between mountains 3000 ft. above sea level in the valley of Rio Verde, near the Ejido el Jabali. La Media Luna is a warm water spring with a pleasant temperature that goes from 78F to 80 F and the maximum depth is 188.5 ft. Diving is a year round adventure at Media Luna.

The Media Luna I dove at last year was more like 86F and the max depth I found at the bottom of the funnel was 95 feet. Having swam all around the lagoon I cannot imagine where 188 feet would be hiding unless that depth is found inside a cave.

You're going by bus but for those that want to drive, the roads are good. Take the "cuotas" (toll roads) where possible, they are of interstate quality. The other highways are on par with our state highways in most places. Kilometer signs are placed like our mile markers. Roja Guia is a travel road map book that shows you everything in great detail, including where gas stations and rest areas are.

There is a cuota that runs from Rio Verde to just north of San Luis Potosi at kilometer 66 on Mx57. Take it, trust me. Otherwise you get to Rio Verde via Mx70 from SLP. Mx70 is something else, a narrow 2 lane road that winds through the mountains with switchbacks and hairpin turns for 60 miles, which the 18 wheelers and many locals race around at 60mph and will pass you on blind curves.

Drivers are not very polite or courteous in Mexico. If you think drivers in your city are aggressive, you ain't seen nothin' yet. It's not that they are mean but they expect you to know what you're doing. And they are simply fearless, a "near miss" means no problemo, you missed.

The Media Luna I dove at last year was more like 86F and the max depth I found at the bottom of the funnel was 95 feet. Having swam all around the lagoon I cannot imagine where 188 feet would be hiding unless that depth is found inside a cave.

You're going by bus but for those that want to drive, the roads are good. Take the "cuotas" (toll roads) where possible, they are of interstate quality. The other highways are on par with our state highways in most places. Kilometer signs are placed like our mile markers. Roja Guia is a travel road map book that shows you everything in great detail, including where gas stations and rest areas are.

There is a cuota that runs from Rio Verde to just north of San Luis Potosi at kilometer 66 on Mx57. Take it, trust me. Otherwise you get to Rio Verde via Mx70 from SLP. Mx70 is something else, a narrow 2 lane road that winds through the mountains with switchbacks and hairpin turns for 60 miles, which the 18 wheelers and many locals race around at 60mph and will pass you on blind curves.

Drivers are not very polite or courteous in Mexico. If you think drivers in your city are aggressive, you ain't seen nothin' yet. It's not that they are mean but they expect you to know what you're doing. And they are simply fearless, a "near miss" means no problemo, you missed.

Sorry, I have not been there and I was only pulling from their website. I will know soon enough though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom