Who's Up for Planning a Road Trip!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k-valve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been thinking about driving up to the Bonne Terre Mine in Missouri for a long weekend. 100' vis, completely illuminated, tons of mining artifacts, marked diving trails, guides available, depths of no more than 40'-60'. It looks like a cool dive...literally and figuratively (58 degree water temps and 62 degree air temps year-round. Here's the website if you want to check it out further: Bonne Terre Mine.

The mine is located in Bridgeton, MO. They say they are the largest freshwater dive resort in the world. I don't know about that, but it's about a 13 hour drive from Austin and a 10 hour drive from Dallas. We could rent a mini-van and several of us could go up together and share the driving, or we could fly ($201 RT from Austin; $139 RT from DFW) if we book in advance.

I was thinking of going sometime in February or early March. If you're interested let's start talking about it!

"Dive lights are not permitted in the lake, because they detract from the natural beauty of the illuminated surroundings". That quote is from their website. My understanding is that if divers took there own lites in they would be apt to explore unlit passageways on their own. That is the main reason that I haven't made the dive. I would much prefer to at least have a backup.

Yep, there is a restriction or two, but I can see a newbie getting lost and....well we all know what can happen. It just looks like a fun dive to me. It looks like a pretty cool place to dive, but I'm open to other suggestions. I just want to do something "different and interesting."

Didn't mean to come off as a downer. I think the mine is a wonderful idea and trip. To me it would be like Valhalla, everyone HAS to do it at least once. Hopefully I will be able to dive with yall soon and be an official member.

No worries...you bring up a good point about the light. Personally, I'm not going in there without a backup, even if I have to hide it. Doesn't sound like it's needed, but lights do go out. :wink:

As far as pricing goes, it doesn't sound as bad if you go with one of the packages. For example, we can stay two nights at their hotel and get in four dives for $310. Not bad if the hotel is decent.

Nat'l Geographic seems to think this is a pretty cool dive too. I didn't look further into it, but they say this dive is one of NG's top ten No. American adventures. Not sure what that means exactly. :-\

I don't know about that fancy B&B with a yellow porta-potty out front..............:rofl3:

Oh that's a phone booth......:eyebrow:

I don't know about that fancy B&B with a yellow porta-potty out front..............:rofl3:

Oh that's a phone booth......:eyebrow:

Ah, man, you're totally missing the early 1900's charm of the place. Of course, your right...we just want to dive! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom