Who's got the mother of all beers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie once bubbled...
I was impressed by Chimey (sp?) but not sure if it's Belgian.

Ghostdiver,
Women do like beer but - wrongly - dismiss talk about it as a male pastime (just as men - rightly - s****** at the thought of women talking about shoes and makeup).

Chimay is from Belgium and I agree, it is an incredible beer. Blue is supposed to be the best, but I actually like Red. You have to be careful though, the alcohol content is closer to wine than beer. I have had some rather unpleasant days after indulging in Belgium's finest.

It's a shame these petty prejudices come in the way of discussing great beer/ale/lager, etc. :coke:

I know the Queen City is not known for its great beer an especially not a great football team, but there is a darn good micro brewery in town and is by far my favorite beer. I have only had one style there that I wasn't impressed with and I they brew probably a dozen different styles depending on the time of year. My favorite is their Nitro Pale Ale that is "pushed" with nitrogen rather than carbon dioxide so it is extra smooth and very good. My only complaint is that they don't bottle...yet. Of course you can get it by the half gallon to go.

If you want some honest straight forward reviews check out www.tobp.com A warning though, if you like anyting made by the big three of American beer shouldn't read some of the reviews.

Alaskan Amber Ale
Granville Island Amber Ale
Black Tusk Amber Ale

hmmm...I'm seeing a personal taste trend here...

I also like Pete's Wicked Ale and something from Oregon called something like "Fat Weazle"???

Some of the Quebec beers with the demonic labels are good too...I can't remember the names something like Maudite.

Most eye opening beer experience was in Thailand, I had been enjoying the Tsinga beer (the Intercontinental hotel had this offer where for an extra $5 a day you got free phone calls, free breakfast buffet and free appetizers/cocktails...best $5 I ever spent as the beer didn't stop coming...) and was on a boat travelling down the main river watching the people living on the riverboats and all the shacks built along the river beneath the luxury condos, anyhow, you can imagine how polluted the water was. We come around a bend and see the Tsinga beer factory pumping the water for the beer out of the river :wacko:...uh...the beers pasturized or something right?

Belgium makes the finest and richest bottled beer. However, IMHO Germany makes a better beer. The only problem is that Germany's good beer stays in Germany. Not because they want to keep it for themselves, but because it's not pasterized. It usually needs to be drunk within 2 weeks from bottling. The German beer that is sold outside of Germany is specially made for exportation. It's pasterized (lasts longer), but definitely doesn't allow to appreciate what real German beer is all about.

Further South, there is one highly unknown and underrated beer that I truly enjoy. I've only found it in Spain where it comes from: Voll Damm. It's high in alcool (8%, I think), amber with a honey after taste. A delight!

I don't believe that France make a fine beer, either too watery or too bitter. One recommendation would be the Jeanlain. A semi-sweet ale that stands out in the crowd.

....the only country where they discuss beer with the same passion that the British discuss the weather.

Duncan

My everyday beer is Coors Light. For special ocassions I like: Labatts (Canada)
Corona (Mexico) Hieneken (Holland)

I haven't traveled nearly enough. Someday I will get to Europe. Most of the imported European beers that I have drank are heavy. They are like drinking a loaf of bread. I drink a lot so I perfer a lighter beer.

This question is practically impossible to answer - Because - Beers are like wine, women, steak, cheese, and dives..... All are good some are just better than others. Except of course Carling Black Label and Michelob Ultra (which could probably be placed in the Poofter category.) While Ricky goes for the beers with sediment, I prefer the blondes except for Tucher Crystal Weitzen. I couldn't even begin to list the beers that I like. Mostly what I like about beers such as Duval (ugh), Amstel Bright, Piton, Tusker, Singha, Kalik, Bitburger, etc, etc, etc is being in the location to buy one. I could use an Amstel Bright today - right now!

Louie:
"What country or region has the best beers?"

This reminds me of an incident at DEMA in Houston. My friends went to the DEMA party and ended up sitting at the table with a distinguished looking German Couple. He sat his beer down and went to the food table. I couldn't help but notice that he was drinking Michelob Ultra.

We were intent on eating and listening to Leslie Nielson doing his flatulence routine and I leaned over the the gentleman and whispered that my friends and I had gotten together and decided that the end of the world was near. He took on a serious air and asked Why? I related that it must be because here sits a German man drinking Ultra. He thought for a minute and broke out in a huge laugh. His frau wanted to know why. He told her in German and she was ROFL. He said that he was unfamiliar with US beer and picked the one labeled Ultra because it must be the best. I said "Do you like it." He looked at it, smecked his lips and replied "never in a million years."

Aquamaniac:
There will only be a few who can relate to this, But Im gonna post it anyway.
nice one.

I was in Manchester (UK) once and had been told by friends that i needed to go in a 'Holts' pub, this is a small independant brewery in that region. so was driving through Manc with some friends and spotted a holts pub. Now it was lunchtime and we had a heavy night the day before. The four of us walk in, and instantly everyone is watching us, i get the job of ordering, two pints of bitter (ok so far), half a bitter (noise level drops 20 decibels) and a lager (silence in the bar and eyes peircing through the back of our heads). The barman just said "we dont do Lager". Thats right the brighlty coloured fizzy beer that the rest of the world drinks, they dont do. Had to change the order to an orange juice which didnt go down well either. We drank up in 10 mins flat.

Anyone want to guess if beer from the US would be different if Prohibition had not occurred? Would it be better? Worse?

Beer is always an important issue and eventhough you guys revived a 2 year old thread and inspite the fact that I'm from Germany, Belgium has the best beers. Closely followed by the German and the Czech beers. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom