Does this remind anyone else of people they knew or know in college?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v_1matst:
Not to be the party pooper but......

Behavior like that is why we have a country full of alcoholics (1 in 13 Americans) and a generation of people who can't function in the 'real world' because they spent all their prep-time drinking their lives away.

Have a great time in college but be responsible. Stop getting behind the wheel when you can't even walk straight. Stop taking advantage of women when they (and you) are too drunk to make good decisions. Stop destroying property and causing disturbances at all hours of the night. Stop getting drunk on crappy beer :)

I agree. I couldn't party in college for two reasons. I had to work my way through on my own. I had no help. My folks were too poor to pay for a 'girl' to go, when it was more important for my brother to go. Oh well.
Second reason was I cannot tolerate cigarette smoke. I get terrible headaches if I'm around it, so that kept me out of the bars.
Do I feel like I missed out on all the 'fun'? No way! I saw my friends sick and now have yellow/brown teeth from all the cigarettes. Yuk.
While this party thread may be what seems the 'cool thing' to do, wise up everyone, it's not worth it. It's also illegal for minors to be drinking with fake I.D.s

Like I said, I can't wait till my son turns 21.

Due to a best unspoken episode one long ago weekday night, I still cannot even look at a bottle of Di Sarono Amaretto without getting dry heave flashbacks. :sick:

Marc

Natasha:
I agree. I couldn't party in college for two reasons. I had to work my way through on my own. I had no help. My folks were too poor to pay for a 'girl' to go, when it was more important for my brother to go. Oh well.

Well i agree, that i would never encourage this choice of extreme behavior, but there are plenty of us who survived it just fine somehow. We aren't alcoholics and function just fine in society. Why is that i wonder?

I think the main reason is good parenting. I admit to partying hard but i also studied hard and worked hard to pay for college. All things i learned from my parents.

Except for the occasional few bucks when my parents could afford it, i also paid for every dime of my education. I'll never forget when my Dad gave me a fifty dollar bill once before i left for school. It was the first one i ever saw, i thought i had the world, i still remember it today.

When partying hard i never got behind the wheel, never destroyed property, never abused women, etc. I was taught better than that and it stuck. You can have one heck of a good time without doing anything destructive to anyone or anything by the way.

In the end we all have choices to make when we leave the nest. The best you can hope for is that you taught your kids well enough that they make good choices. Sooner or later they will have to make those choices themselves without your help. You can't protect them forever.

My guess Natasha is that you taught your kids well enough that your boy will be fine.:)

Never ordered B-52's by the squadron before. Yipes.

As far as some of the other stuff goes...it depends on the person I guess. I don't, and have never, been drinking and driving. While going through college, I double majored in German and Computer Science, and graduated with honors, while not receiving a penny from my parents. I finished up my last year in school while working full time at a "real" job - ie, not a filler job while doing college, but I actually got hired at my real job while I was still in school.

So in some regards, you can have your cake and eat it too.

**edit**

And I think it does have something to do w/ what gedunk says. My parents taught me how to behave in society. You don't drink and drive. You respect other peoples property. You respect women, and all human beings in general, whether you are sober or not. And as we said, study hard, party harder I guess. It was a crude way of saying that you got your work done, got your A's, and then and only then could you enjoy yourself. It might just have been my group, but we were able to balance it out pretty well. And I was considered the "slacker" of my group for only having two majors.

gedunk:
You can't protect them forever.

My guess Natasha is that you taught your kids well enough that your boy will be fine.:)

Thank you Jon. Jordan is doing exceptionally well. But, that still doesn't change the fact that it is illegal for him to drink. While I might say, 'he'll make it and turn out', the cops won't have mercy on him. That's the part I worry about.
It's still illegal for minors to drink. So until that changes, they can ruin things for themselves.

PS. I like that 50.00 story. I'm going to do that when Jordan comes home in 10 days. Tell your Dad his story will live on. (Yes, I'm counting the days)

gedunk:
Well i agree, that i would never encourage this choice of extreme behavior, but there are plenty of us who survived it just fine somehow. We aren't alcoholics and function just fine in society. Why is that i wonder?

Its all about knowing where the line is. It took me a year or so to find it, (probably cause it took me a month to sober up after my first semester) but now that i know where it is everything works out fine. Monday through Friday till 3 I do academics and Friday from 3 till Sunday at 11pm I do other things .

Natasha:
PS. I like that 50.00 story. I'm going to do that when Jordan comes home in 10 days. Tell your Dad his story will live on. (Yes, I'm counting the days)

Cool, i will, but considering that was like 1982, you may need to consider a c-note to get the same effect. :wink:

Natasha:
Ouch! :winky:

Inflation is a bummer man! :wink:

gedunk:
Inflation is a bummer man! :wink:
So is the difference in behavior of college age kids in 1982 and 2004. I agree with most of what you said earlier however good parenting cannot solve everything.

Acting responsibly of ones own volition is necessary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom