Who's got the mother of all beers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is a spinoff from another thread: I've been encouraged to do a separate one on

"What country or region has the best beers?"

Now it's not based on some base pub-argument urge but I am an occasional amateur food and drinks writer and always interested in people's opinions on this.

I used to think in the eighties during my youth in Canada that beer was a brown watered down drink used for getting drunk (it was a choice of Labbatts, Molson and a vile liquid called Lethbridge Beer). But in the past decade, a bunch of microbrews have sprung up and every time I visit Canada, I'm surprised at the great variety, quality and pleasant sipping.

BTW - I am female: this is why I was a bit hesitant about starting this thread.

Belgium. No one else even comes close.
The size of Maryland, over 300 breweries, each with several different beers.
I spent three years there trying to find a bad beer... found one - Piedboeuf - (translates roughly to "cowfoot" I think, which was apt) - the rest were wonderful
Personal favorite is Duvel.
Rick

I'm tossing in my "vote" for Belgium, too. That isn't to say that there aren't some terrific microbrewery beers in North America. The best thing abou this kind of survey is that it makes me want to go back and see if I still think the same way...

Hard to pick a personal favourite - depnds on what I'm eating with it.

Louie: I was surprised to find (at a Grey Cup party this past November) that you can still buy Lethbridge Pilsner. Tried it again... once. Ummm. There were better beers available in the 80's. Really.

Belgium has some outstanding brew -- don't forget the delicious Lambic beer that some claim is reminiscent of extra fruity champagne.

But because everyone so far is in support of Belgium I have to throw my lot in with our Teutonic brethren. They make some damn tasty beer in Germany and in virtually every style. The more prosaic Helles and Dunkles styles are excellent as is Kolsch (I think this may actually be a lager -- not sure though). But, what really does it for german beer is Hefe Weizen. I have never found a wheat beer that tastes as good as a solid German Hefe Weizen such as Paulaner. The problem is that beer being delicate by nature, it never tastes as good after it has travelled across the atlantic. (Just ask those that complain that Guinness tastes best in Ireland). The other problem is that U.S. Microbreweries tend to make wheat beer in a drier hoppy style -- lots of people like this style, but it doesn't do it for me. I miss being a student over there. Alas.

(Louie, I am confused, are women not supposed to like beer?)

I guess I am going to have to vote for Belgium too. Besides they own, Labbats, Olin, Rolling Rock, Just took a serious run at one of the UK's biggest brewries. Hell biggest beer company in the world I think. But the local belgian stuff is hard to beat. They make a great cherry beer too hehehe

Cherry

I have to agree! Duval is not one that I wand to have several of, but it is an excellent beer.

I just came back from a trip to the Caribbean and enjoyed several of the local brews down there (Piton, Blackbeards, Banks and others) but still have really enjoyed the beers in Belgium the most.

I haven't been there in a number of years, but do recall that most of the different beers have their own glass, so if you're like me, trying everything under the sun, pretty soon you have a half dozen different glasses sitting on the table or bar in front of you, each one different.....

Ghostdiver wrote...
But because everyone so far is in support of Belgium I have to throw my lot in with our Teutonic brethren. They make some damn tasty beer in Germany and in virtually every style.
Spot on! Though I think I'll pass on the Rauchbier...

Ghostdiver wrote...
But, what really does it for german beer is Hefe Weizen. I have never found a wheat beer that tastes as good as a solid German Hefe Weizen such as Paulaner.
Even better is my current favorite, Franziskaner. Maisel's is also quite good, especially the Kristallklar.

Doppelbock is another favored style of mine.

Anyone like Mackeson's Triple Stout? It's chocolate-based, yet oh so good.

Belgium gets my vote too! Great Beer and each beer has its own unique glass!
Hoegarten and Duvel are tops on my list!:)

Some of my favorites are New Castle, Guinness, Sam Adams and I do rather like Goose Island Honkers Ale and it’s even better in Chicago when they hand pump it from the cellar

Would Chicago work for a region.:D

Duvel is OK but for my money you have to knock back an Orval to really know that God loves you!

Now if you really want a beer you can chew on..... how about Sammiklaus from Switzerland?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom