who uses 7mm + 7mm Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here in Great Lakes lots of people (incl me) dive with 7+7 setups in 42-50 degree water. I used the Bare Supra before and the Bare Artic presently.

I was diving an old o'niell 7mm farmer john in puget sound last weekend, in the low 40's, little over 30 minutes dive time, and I think I could have comfortably done another hour. I need new boots though, the 3mm boots I've got just aren't cutting it for winter diving in puget sound. Anyone with a favorite 5 or 7mm boot to recommend? Looking for something with a decent sole on it for the rocks.

Jake

I have used and 7mil farmer john, 7mil step in jacket, 5mil bibbed hood, 5 mil boots and 5 mil gloves with a lowest temp of 52F. 2 35 minute dives with a 2 hr surface interval. Other than the cold water down the back I wasn't cold at all.

I have just purchased a Bare Arctic 7mil full suit and 7mil step in hooded vest that I haven't tried yet. I have been told that this set up is far better than the fj and jack combo because there is less space around the shoulders and arms and the attached hood doesn't let a bunch of cold water in at the beginning of the dive. A friend of mine was going to ice dive in this set up last weekend but I haven't spoke to him to get a report. Although I think the ice dive in the wet suit is a bit extreme it is common up here to get below thermoclines in this set up where temperatures get to the low 40s.

Cool! no pun intended. The only hoods I've seen (superstretch ones) were the 5mm. I wanted to get the superstretch because I sometimes feel like I cant get the hood off and ill choke myself trying to :p.

I dont know about the arctic vest with hood... I dont like how the zipper comes up to your face. Does that leave marks?

Anyways..Since I already have a nice hood I was just thinking of getting a 7mm vest off ebay without a hood for 20 bucks and then using my 7mm fullsuit with the 5mm 5/3mm bibbed hood and the 7mm vest giving me 17mm of neoprene on the upper chest, 14 on the lower part of my body and 7 in the rest of my body. I might try this setup at haigh quarry in a few weeks when the water warms up a bit.

Another reason why I like this setup is because I can keep the neck seal on my full suit and cover it with the bibbed hood and then cover that with the vest, making it very hard for the water to enter through the neck. I would think that this would alse make it harded for the water to enter through the zipper in the back.

here is something I forgot to ask... how much of a size up do you guys go when getting a vest over a 7mm? I am a medium on the fullsuit. Would I need a large or XL?

nwbrewer:
I was diving an old o'niell 7mm farmer john in puget sound last weekend, in the low 40's, little over 30 minutes dive time, and I think I could have comfortably done another hour. I need new boots though, the 3mm boots I've got just aren't cutting it for winter diving in puget sound. Anyone with a favorite 5 or 7mm boot to recommend? Looking for something with a decent sole on it for the rocks.

Jake
one of the best all-around buys I've made is the "JoeDiver" website purchase of their favorite 5mm boot, good sole and good fit, it's a Dacor and a great buy for the $$$

Last year I moved from diving the wonderful lakes and quarries in Illinois from a 5mm full to a 7mm farmer john set. Still use a 5mm hood and boots but was able to dive about an hour in around 50 degree water and didn't feel overly cold.

I would like to move to a dry suit but as other have stated there is just something about diving wet!

Jeff

El Orans:
Cressi Lontra 7+7

I'll use both below 8C.

I was very very intersted in that suit but it did not seem to be available here in the U.S. at the time.

Pete

Daner:
I have used and 7mil farmer john, 7mil step in jacket, 5mil bibbed hood, 5 mil boots and 5 mil gloves with a lowest temp of 52F. 2 35 minute dives with a 2 hr surface interval. Other than the cold water down the back I wasn't cold at all.

I have just purchased a Bare Arctic 7mil full suit and 7mil step in hooded vest that I haven't tried yet. I have been told that this set up is far better than the fj and jack combo because there is less space around the shoulders and arms and the attached hood doesn't let a bunch of cold water in at the beginning of the dive. A friend of mine was going to ice dive in this set up last weekend but I haven't spoke to him to get a report. Although I think the ice dive in the wet suit is a bit extreme it is common up here to get below thermoclines in this set up where temperatures get to the low 40s.

Have you tried it yet? I dive those 2 Bare items and I litteraly have to wait for the water to work it's way in. No cold shots down the back, the magic of a hooded vest.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom