who uses 7mm + 7mm Vest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mlody11

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey I was just curious if anyone used a 7mm wetsuit with a 7mm vest over it and how cold was too cold for it. I used a 7mm suit and below 50 degrees in 30 ft. of water is probably too much. I know I know... drysuit. Im really just curious is anyone tried this because im trying to get a feel if the 30 bucks is worth it. This is of course with a 5mm hood and gloves and 7mm boots.

To recap...

Q1: Have you tried the 7mm +7mm Vest?
Q2: How cold is too cold for the 7mm for you?
Q3: How cold is too cold for the 7mm + 7mm Vest?

Here in So Cal (Santa Catalina Island) on my last lobstering trip, I dove using a 7/5mm full length with a 5/3mm hooded vest underneath and had no problems being cold.
the water temp was 53 F with a surface temp of about 60.

Of course the second dive was a little cooler, but tolerable.

You might also consider a 7mil hooded vest (I think otter bay even makes a 12 mil hood) But a 5mil hood sounds kinda thin for water that cold. You will find divers on the board here that dive in a 7mil suit down to the mid 30's... definitely not me though :wink: So much of it is going to be personal preference.

Aloha, Tim

I am using 7mm and 5mm vest at 41~43 degree water.....

I use a 6.5 farmer jon in 42 degree water with no problems. It takes a little to get use to. :D

My coldest dive was 50 degrees. I was comfortable in the following gear:
7 mm farmer john
Oceanic hooded vest (6mm torso, 5mm hood, 4mm face I think)
Neoprene shorts of undetermined thickness
7mm boots
7mm gloves

I was more comfortable than my dry suited buddy. Way more weighted to counteract bouyancy, too!

How many others use neoprene shorts? I think they make a world of difference. The ones I have are not specially made for diving - they're some kind of workout shorts.

I just got a Bare 7mm Arctic vest to see if I can do colder water in a wetsuit. It's like a shorty while the Oceanic referenced above goes only to the waist.

Mlody11:
Q1: Have you tried the 7mm +7mm Vest?
Q2: How cold is too cold for the 7mm for you?
Q3: How cold is too cold for the 7mm + 7mm Vest?

Q1 I own a Bare Arctic 7mm and the 7mm step-in hooded vest. Yes I have tried it and I like it.

Q2 I never wear the Arctic alone, I use the bare 3mm hooded chicken vest with it in milder times. IMO the vest is far superior to a bibbed hood. I go to the heavier 7mm vest when the water it totaly out of the 60sF

Q3 How cold is too cold? My last real dive day in both 7mm pieces was in November, water temperature was 50F. I was perfectly comfortable after a pair of 40-50 minute shore dives. I went skin diving January 2 in 40F water for about 30 minutes and was fine. I did choose to go dry for the winter after the November dives more to dive through the coldest part of the winder (potential to 33F) and to dodge getting out of a wetsuit in subfreezing conditions.

Bare gaultlet gloves and neosocks are great accesories.

If I had a choice I'd dive wet all year. The drysuit does give me a thermal margin of safety in the colder weather. As mentioned it also saves me from dressing down wet. Be truly honest with yourself because hypothermia is dangerous.

Pete

In the lakes around here it gets in the low 40s. I use a 6.5 MM Farmer John with a 7MM Top, 5mm hood, 5 mm gloves and boots. It takes some weight to sink me mainly because of my body fat percentage but it is comfortable doing a dive. Then possibly another later in the day. I get cold first in the head, feet and hands. So having 7MM is not bad until you can afford a DrySuit.

I use the 7+7... It's been used in 42F water. However, I find it gets chilly at depth (below 60-70ft), when the neoprene is compressed, and the water is that cold.

I have been in surface water around 45, and it was fine.

Alex

spectrum:
If I had a choice I'd dive wet all year.

Me too! Because I love the smell of neoprene.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom