Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I keep every log I dived. Since every dive is a learning class, the weather condition, buddy, diving spot, and etc. create a challenge underwater. With the log, I can think through the whole dive to review things I did and how it ends, sometimes even have to thank God didn't took me with him after my stupid move underwater.

Just like everyone said before, logs help me remember the situation in the same diving spot. This could decrease the risk that I will be in danger. and also you can have good memory to see what you have done underwater, no matter how glory and how stupid. Make your underwater memory more bueatiful!

Steponwind:wink:

I log everything too - I love reading back over everything and sometimes look up weights etc. Also good for checking exactly when you started using particular gear items.

I don't get wet often enough to not log the short ones.

I will log all of my dives that are over 15' for 15 minutes. I also logged one dive that was shorter than 15 minutes that ended due to equipment failure :wacko:

I am a fairly new diver with 20 open water dives, and I am still working out how much detail to put in my logs. The information that I have found most useful (other than depth and time) has been what I am wearing, amount of lead, water conditions, PSI in, PSI out, and any lessons learned.

of course I'm new and I want them all to count. I haven't had to abort a dive or anything like that yet. I think if you did and were in the water, that you could log it. If you have to abort, there is definitely a lesson to be learned there, and that can count for a lot. Log the experience.

Just my thoughts.

Juls

I started off logging everything. Then I changed and now only log dives that hold some value according to my own thoughts. I decided that if I have to ask wether I should log a dive then I won't log it. I cleaned up my lob book both the one on paper and the one on my computer.

I log just about everything that isn't in the pool

cellbiller once bubbled...
The information that I have found most useful (other than depth and time) has been what I am wearing, amount of lead, water conditions, PSI in, PSI out, and any lessons learned.

Add your average depth to your log and calculate your SAC rate for each dive. This is important data to have for planning future dives.

:wink:

Not enough choices on the poll...

I chose if i get wet i log it. This of course doesnt include any pool work at all. I would still log a dive under 10 min, why was it aborted ? its always good to log those, the info could be a lesson learned.

When i first started diving i always logged my dives, as time went by i stopped. The beginning of this year i was typing all my logs to an xcel spread sheet and i noticed how the lack of detail in my log made every dive seam like the same dive.

I have now started logging in great detail, besides the usual logged info i write about the entire dive. I try to write down the dive so anyone reading it gets the feeling of actually doing the dive.

Now when i look back in my log i can recall the dive due to the amout of detail i add.

Andy

If I suit up, that's a clue to log it.

But I never log pool work (like I do pool work...) Example: Logging Dry Suit class? Please... How Enron of me to inflate my dives would that would be?!!? :D

I log everything - besides the basic metrics of the dive (in & out pressure, time in & out, elapsed time, depth, temp, avg depth, equipment, conditions, etc.) but also a narrative and often a map, plus any drills completed.

I dive the same areas often, and they're always changing. Its shocking how much they change season to season, year to year. I want to be able to find stuff again. I want to remember what it was like.

I log critters, thoughts, flubs, victories, buddy performance, boat issues, weather, compass headings, etc. I log everything.

I keep a dive journal, not just a dive log. My memory is so bad, if I don't write this stuff down its gone forever.

K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom