Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vixyswillie once bubbled...

Hey! Look what the newbie found, who was equally confused about what SAC was! :tease:
Thanks - it helps. Appears I was on the right track. Boyle's Law, Ideal Gas Law - pretty much the same thing :D

As it relates to this topic, is there anyone who calculates SAC and documents it in their logbook, other than ibnygator?

willanz once bubbled...
I set up a spread sheet on my Palm to keep track of my dives.
Does anyone use the PADI Go Dive Log software for Palms? Any thoughts on its utility? I have downloaded the trial version but the jury is still out. It's available for those who have signed up for MyPADI (http://www.padi.com/padiprofile/html/software.asp) - for a fee, of course. Runs $40 (+ tax if you live in CA).

I typically record the basics during my surface intervals and all the specifics after my diving is done for the day. The who, what, when, where, etc. If I don't know a type of fish that caught my eye I'll look it up and post it later.

Although I've only been diving for short time, I like looking back in my logbook to remember what I saw and kind of relive the dive for a few minutes.

I log everything.... mostly now just because its a habit, but its fun to look back and see what dives I have been on... :)

Kayla:)

Sooner or later you'll wish you had logged all of your dives.
So what IS a logged dive anyways?

Well according to my dive computer, when I go down to the training platform at 35 feet to tie off the float and heavy rope for the next batch of students. That 3 to 5 minute interval is logged as a dive according to the computer. I disagree, so I don't count it as such. What I do write down in the manual logbook is "PADI OW Training Dive 1" "5 students no problems". If I have a difficult student I will make note of it, but still to me it's only one dive,,,sort of.

In general if I've been down for 10 minutes or more, or if something extrordinary happens (saw UFO had to dive for 2 minutes to avoid possible capture and anal probe), I'll log it as a dive for future reference, bragging rights, or just to recall a trip or event.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...
or if something extrordinary happens (saw UFO had to dive for 2 minutes to avoid possible capture and anal probe), I'll log it as a dive for future reference, bragging rights, or just to recall a trip or event.

Damn! Your dives sound much more exciting than mine! I wonder, how many divers HAVE dissapeard in the Bermuda Triangle.

navy85 once bubbled...
As it relates to this topic, is there anyone who calculates SAC and documents it in their logbook, other than ibnygator?

Yes, I occasionally calculate SAC and put it down. Since I have to go through the contortions of downloading the computer, and exporting to Excel to get an exact number, I only do it every 25 dives or so, or when the dive was unusual in some way, such as particularly deep, heavy current, very warm or very cold water, etc.

In addition to my logbook, I have a minilog that is just a 2 page extract, where a 25 dive trip is summarized in just 2 sentences -- dive charter, temps, suit, weight, SAC, # of dives and hours of bottom time. It is interesting to look at the changes in weighting and SAC over time.

Charlie

PhotoTJ once bubbled...

Damn! Your dives sound much more exciting than mine! I wonder, how many divers HAVE dissapeard in the Bermuda Triangle.

More than they will admit too I'm sure. It's a great conspiracy I tell you, just like the fake moon landings and the whole cover up about who Elvis "really" was. He's not dead you know, just waiting for his next assignment.

Always remember to hide from the Black Helicopters, they can read brain waves you know.

Gota go now, it's checkers day here at the resort. Maybe they'll let me out for a walk today if I'm really good.

:dork:

it helps me to remember my dives. I learn something from every dive and I like to record it.

When I started diving over 30 yrs ago I was religious about logging, but got lax, and back then no one seemed to care. For almost a decade from about 1990 to 1999 no dives logged, even though I had done literally hundreds. In 1999 my teenage son took up diving and compelled me to restart logging. We found my moldy old dive log in a retired foot locker, I bought a new one and started to relog. Sad all the memories that were missed.

So do I log all "dives" now? Basically if it's say 15-20 minutes or more, and the intent was to go diving, yes. I spend a lot of time cruising and just going over the side to check anchor sets, boat maintenance, pulling/setting moorings fall/spring, etc., and I don't log those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom