Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except for pool training. As a police diver, I like to log all my dives, work or recreational. I use a ledger and I only log the bare essentials into one line, date / site / location / bottom time / max depth / viz / temp / work or pleasure dive and thats it.
It does help to go back and check information later on sometime when you need to.

Dive hard,
AquaDog

I log all my fun dives and none of my training dives....however, every dive is downloaded into the my PC. My paper log book is kept in sync with my machine-readible log book by skipping the numbers for training dives.

As for a newbie question earlier, I look at my air consumption to determine what effect conditions had and I also look at my dive profile to make sure I am diving safe and not missing any "slows" during the dive.

Otter

I speak from experience when I say that I strongly reccommend logging all dives! I had a scuba accident about a year ago, and that was the first thing the doctors wanted to see was my log book to determine if nitrogen levels or decompression was a factor in my accident! For those that are wondering what kind of accident I had, I was diving a wreck at 77 ft. and began bleeding from my ears and nose quite a bit! The first thing everyone thought was that I had decompression sickness or was narc-ed, or that I didn't equalize! That wasn't the case, We did everything by the book! Til this day the doctors cannot explain what happened or find anything wrong! But, I am still diving, even though I still have a fair amount of ear pain when I dive!:rolleyes:

PhotoTJ once bubbled...
So, do you log every dive? Most dives?

:pirate:

I feel it is important to record every dive. Even if it isn't a dive to record and learn from your passed experiences. Recalling something from a few years ago may be not very vivid so if you even write something down that can recall it better.

I have been diving for 13 years now, and I log any dive that I do in Open Water (as long as it passes the 10/10 rule). I do not log pool sessions, after all it is just swilling then, with some real cool equipment :wink: . I think it is a definate advantage to log the dives and get them signed, because of a couple of reasons, 1/you can show proof of your experience on a charter if questioned. 2/ You can go to your log to see what a certian dive site is like when you plan to dive it again (especially if there has been an interval of years between diving that site)

There is my .02 cents worth

Dale :D

Yep, I log my dives. I find I write more when I am traveling and diving off island. Mainly I log dives because its a CYA...if I am teaching, I log the student and the skills covered. If its a fun dive, I log the ppl I take out. Also log any exciting events such as accidently swimming thru a giant trigger fish's breeding grounds, and any subsequent bodily damage that might have occured to me. I dont log pool training dives unless I hit more than 50 min underwater.

When I dive in Saipan, I use compact 60's with a skin, so when I travel, its helpful to know how much wt I use in my full wetsuit, as I dont use it often, plus most places use standard tanks. The logs also come in handy to brief customers on dives to islands nearby that we take by boat. I find that as I increase in age, sometimes my memory decreases. Damn the old age!:D

As with some ppl who have posted, I agree, a log shows proof of ur experience in diving. I have been asked several times that I show my log. I just returned from Bali and despite showing my MSDT card, they still asked when was the last time I dove.

Keep Logging and keep diving....

Of course, with only 14 dives past my OW cert, I'm proud of every one. At this point in the learning curve I feel I need to keep track of all the details.

KYDan

I log every dive that is eligible to be logged (i.e., no pool dives).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom