Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...
I'm in the water so much I don't have time to log every dive if I make. I have probably made 40 dives in the past month or so.

No offense man but I've made about 40 dives in the past month and that is precisely why I'm still logging every dive. It's nice to have a reference on what exposure suit, cylinder, weight, etc I was wearing. I also keep notes on who I've dove with, who I'll dive with again and who I'll try to avoid or be more careful with. Not every entry is real detailed, alot say "crabbing" or "dove 2" but I get the weight, gear, tank info and psi going and coming for sac calculations. I keep critical notes on my own mistakes as well.

I log pool dives if I'm getting an orientation/training in something new and get the dm/inst to sign, but I don't count them toward my "logged dives".

I know old timers that say "Ah I'd have 5000+ logged dives if I kept a log book," and I know old timers that have 5000+ Logged Dives.

I log every dive in order to remember them ; it can be funny to remember them even if there isn't anything spectacular

And I don't dive a lot (about 30 a year) so it's not a problem for me lol

I use a 20/20 rule. If the dive is deeper than 20 feet and lasts longer than 20 minutes then I count it. It's nice to have a record...

Having aviation as my "first" hobby I'm a little AR about log books...

I'm starting to want to set up a database to use in conjunction with a paper log so I can quickly see how many dives I've done in doubles or on trimix, or with a deco obligation, or whatever. Any suggestions for a good database already setup for this? I suppose grinding one out wouldn't be too hard for that matter..

There's always something you can learn when you go back and read over your logbook - even if it's only to see how far you've come!

Every dive has something noteworthy about it - even if you were only down for ten minutes before your buddy called it.

I log every dive and always have. I designed my own log book to suit my needs. I log such info as camera settings, launch site as I kayak dive, and other info specific to my area.:shades:

When I started diving, in 1995, I logged every dive in detail. By the time I reached dive 150 or so the following summer, I began to get a bit lazy. I think part of the problem was I was doing work with aquaculture, and burning four tanks a day...the dives were pretty routine, and there wasn't much different to report.

So, then I started just logging the recreational dives. Soon, I started missing them, too. I don't think I've even looked at my log book since fall of 1996, before dive #200, and I'd have to be approaching 2000 dives now, but that's just an estimate.

My wife started diving about 2 years ago, and she religiously logs every dive she does, including some detail. I keep saying I need to start a new log book and begin writing them out...we've been diving in the Carribean a few times, I've done some wreck diving here in the Maritimes, and plenty of diving just exploring the surrounding waters; I've got lots of photos to remember the dives, but no written record.

I may have to break down and buy a dive computer...never used one yet, all diving has been done with tables, but everyone keeps telling me the computer is the way to go. Then, logging would just be a matter of downloading the info to my PC.

OK...you've talked me into it! I think I'll sketch out a dive log sheet on the computer tonight and print a bunch off. We're heading out for a couple of dives in about an hour, so I'll get some immediate use out of them!

I’m so anal about logging in my dives. After teaching for so long and needing to track student performance, I even log the pool dives.

Fishbait99 once bubbled...
When I started diving, in 1995, I logged every dive in detail. By the time I reached dive 150 or so the following summer, I began to get a bit lazy. I think part of the problem was I was doing work with aquaculture, and burning four tanks a day...the dives were pretty routine, and there wasn't much different to report.

So, then I started just logging the recreational dives. Soon, I started missing them, too. I don't think I've even looked at my log book since fall of 1996, before dive #200, and I'd have to be approaching 2000 dives now, but that's just an estimate.

I may have to break down and buy a dive computer...never used one yet, all diving has been done with tables, but everyone keeps telling me the computer is the way to go. Then, logging would just be a matter of downloading the info to my PC.

OK...you've talked me into it! I think I'll sketch out a dive log sheet on the computer tonight and print a bunch off. We're heading out for a couple of dives in about an hour, so I'll get some immediate use out of them!
No need to log every dive. Think back as to what sort of information you have ever wished that you could just look up in your logbook, then just write down that info somewhere. Maybe you are just curious about when was it that you started using that wetsuit that is wearing out; or what dive sites you went to on your last trip to Bonaire.

Perhaps a simple journal with equipment purchase and maintenance record makes more sense. A highly detailed logbook that never gets filled out isn't as useful as a cruder journal that has the info you want.

My logbook has evolved into more of a trip log than a dive log. The multiple dives of a trip get condensed down to just a single log page per day or less, and plenty of room is devoted to hotel, restaurant, and dive boat operator information and reviews.

I do not log any pool sessions, but... Yes... I log every OW dive I do... Besides, it is great to look back and remember some of the previous dives...:bounce:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom