Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I log every dive in detail.
But then, I haven't had a dive shorter than 25 minutes yet.

Why do people consider the 10 ft for 10 min rule when logging dives? I certainly don't think that 10 min. at 10 ft is anything near a dive. I've been diving for 9 years and only have about 30 logged dives (ive probably dove close to 300 dives, all 30+ ft) I just cant remember ever wanting to log a dive unless something spectacular happened. So is the purpose of the 10ft for 10 min rule just to rack up the number of "dives" that you can stick in a binder and brag about?:confused:

"And we note our place with book markers,
That measure what we lost"

I log every 10/10 because I like to look back and see the experiences of the time - it's great fun. Also it gives you the names of places and dates that you would have otherwise forgotten.

Jim

chazbrown3 once bubbled...
Why do people consider the 10 ft for 10 min rule when logging dives? I certainly don't think that 10 min. at 10 ft is anything near a dive. I've been diving for 9 years and only have about 30 logged dives (ive probably dove close to 300 dives, all 30+ ft) I just cant remember ever wanting to log a dive unless something spectacular happened. So is the purpose of the 10ft for 10 min rule just to rack up the number of "dives" that you can stick in a binder and brag about?:confused:

It depends on why you're logging the dive. I log everything in OW that I do with students. It's documentation. I've even thought of keeping a second log for confined water work. I'll log it even if the dive is abborted on the surface without ever decending. Again it's just how I document things.

I have logged other short dives as well. I have one cave dive in my log that was short and we never made it beyond the cavern zone. Things went wrong, there were lessons learned and so it went in the book. The fact that some might not consider it a loggable dive doesn't matter to me since my log is for me not for them.

If I'm teaching a class, I log every dive (including pool) so that I have a written record of what was done. If I am taking a class, I log every dive (including pool) so that I can take notes on what I learned. If I am doing a technical dive, I put my dive plan in my log book and then note any deviations from my plan and why I deviated. If I am doing a short quickie dive for fun, often it will not make the log book unless something worth noting happened. However, it will be downloaded from my dive computer and saved on my personal computer.

I log every dive also. I thought that once I get a lot of dives in might end up stopping. But then I end up reading a diving book or run across someone elses log book and it reminds me that keeping a log is a great history of myself.

I have read some older log books from the 60's and it is a great history lesson about the equipment they used and the wildlife they saw. It also showed how much the things have changed since then. I'll keep writting a history. Maybe someday I can write a book about my experiences.

I quit logging when I was working the live-aboard in the Bahamas... I was diving so much and just too cool for school. So I quit. I can not begin to express how very sorry I am I made that choice. Now I log every dive over 10 minutes.

And yes, with students and small classes, sometimes you do get dives less than ten minutes if you have to abort. I don't log those.

I also used to log every student. I would have them write their address in my log book and I would mail them every year. I quit doing that, too, and regret that as well. It's so cool to get back in touch with old students and see how their dive adventures have gone. I miss that.

My log book is running out of pages (actually it already has). Anybody have a favorite or a suggestion as to what I should replace it with?

samcvic once bubbled...
My log book is running out of pages (actually it already has). Anybody have a favorite or a suggestion as to what I should replace it with?

SSI has a nice dive leader log -- it logs 100 dives per booklet with five dives per page and fits nicely into a six ring binder. The booklet is only about 1/8 inch thick. The log is only about $6.50 or so. The only drawback is very little room for narrative. It's really intended for a dive leader or someone who just wants the facts/paramters of their dives.

learn-scuba once bubbled...

I also used to log every student. I would have them write their address in my log book and I would mail them every year. I quit doing that, too, and regret that as well. It's so cool to get back in touch with old students and see how their dive adventures have gone. I miss that.

Thats sounds great, Have you started that again? Did it bring you back any bussiness?

Back
Top Bottom