Who logs every dive?

Do you log every dive?

• If I get wet, I log it!

Votes: 129 46.7%
  • If I was down for 10 minutes.

Votes: 96 34.8%
  • Well, if something extraordinary happened. (Found sunken treasure, shark ate buddy.)

Votes: 22 8.0%
  • What's a log book?

Votes: 29 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg once bubbled...

Thats sounds great, Have you started that again? Did it bring you back any bussiness?

WaterDawg --

Yes I have started doing it again once I realized what I was missing by having stopped. I love being able to remember the student's names long after they've been certified and all and, yes, it does help with repeat business for ConEd and especially for dive trips. Probably 80% of the divers that went with me on dive vacations back when I was doing this were people I had certified which was a lot of fun, too. It's very cool to go diving somewhere with your students that have now become experienced divers... there's an interesting comraderie that forms and kind of hard to define.

One Page per trip/Location just to get the stamp

Dive profiles downloaded from computer.

Save the rainforest
:gotcha:

I was always bad at keeping diaries and writing letters home.

However the divelog is becoming more useful and I am actually beginning to log alot more than I used to.

Basically I would go to a site for the second / third time and not have any details on it so need to record alot more.

Also really trying to remember some of those fish names. Hated coming out of the water and saying do you remember the blue one, the green one, the blue and green one, the blue green stripey one ...

still loging all dive .. not that many really .. soon to become a 3 figure diver .. next month fingers crossed.

I've been diving since the late 1970s... Back then, logging dives wasn't really done... Yeah, it might be good to be able to look back and see my comments on some of those dives, but since I never logged them, I'm not going to start logging my dives now... I guess it would like I had missed something back then and I guess I'm still in the denial stage... :wink:

On some of my vacation trips, I create a web page and if it's a diving vacation, I'll probably mention a little bit about the dive, but not the stuff that you normally see in a dive logbook...

I'm also a pilot and I don't log all my flights either and I'm kind of supposed to do that...

Grumman - what sort of Grumman do you fly? :)

Technically I think a pilot is only required to log those flights that are needed to demonstrate currency (ie: 3 t/l every 90 days for vfr passenger carrying).

I missed the poll prior to the close out but, you can count on another one who logs them all except the pool work. I have detailed the comments section of my book to the point of compass headings, points of interest, drawings, etc. I have found all of this information very helpful when returning to a site or for giving a site brief. The other information, like temp., gear cofigeration, sea conditions, etc. comes in handy in that I have several gear configerations that range from 3mm-7/5mm semi-dry-drysuit and 80al to steel 120's. All of this information comes in handy while I am going through my Advance Nitrox / decompression class. You better believe that the instructor wanted to see proof of past diving experence via computer or logbook.

While on the subject, if any of you have made your own logbook pages, please feel free to send me a copy. Since I have gone to the dark side (technical and yes just joking) I find that the ones I used in the past just want cut it. PADI has one on their site but I can't modify it in any way.

I log everything except pool work - if I did I dive for 5 minutes and abort, I'll make a note of it - why and what caused me to abort the dive - but I won't count that as an actual dive in my totals.

I like having a record of if I was overweighted - configured funky - did something that worked well for me - that way when I get around to diving again - sometimes I dont get out as much as Id like - I'll have a written record

Does that make sense or is it too early in the AM.

Stopped logging in July and haven't looked back. I do wish I had my old logs from the 70's when I was a kid, before my long dry spell. However, without proof, the stories keep getting better!:D Some day I might wish I'd logged todays dives.
I figgure, if I need to prove some dive history I can scroll through my computer. So far, all I've had to do was answer questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom