Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sitting next to a pool here in Bonaire, half way through a two-week stay. Based on our prior research and the advise of our hosts, we've felt safe to leave our t-shirts, guide book, mesh dive bags, sandals, towels, lunch, etc., in the unlocked rental truck, with no problems to date. We've been told that if it isn't something of value or appealing to kids, it probably (!) will be there when you get back.

Given the amazing shore diving, I'd be happy to lose a t-shirt or two if that's what it costs for the pleasure of visiting Bonaire. This is our first trip, but certainly not our last.

Fouremco:
I'm sitting next to a pool here in Bonaire, half way through a two-week stay. Based on our prior research and the advise of our hosts, we've felt safe to leave our t-shirts, guide book, mesh dive bags, sandals, towels, lunch, etc., in the unlocked rental truck, with no problems to date. We've been told that if it isn't something of value or appealing to kids, it probably (!) will be there when you get back.

Given the amazing shore diving, I'd be happy to lose a t-shirt or two if that's what it costs for the pleasure of visiting Bonaire. This is our first trip, but certainly not our last.

Well, yeah, of course, it's winter in Ottawa, -3F*, and you are near a pool of blue/green water on a hot day. You'd give up your reg and puter to stay another week and not have to face the frigid Ottawa wind blowing up your thermal skivies. Be safe :)

Pilot Fish -

If you have a grand obsession for the crime in Bonaire - Just wait until you get to Truk and Yap.

Just get in between the two groups that throw rocks at one another in Truk and you won't worry about petty theft.

Tom,
Save your breath...typing...PF has been to Bonaire once and did not have any problems when he was there. For whatever reason, he has a thing for trashing Bonaire.
Lets just hope the people who have not been to the island will read through the theads and sort out the good info from the bad. Doing a quick count, my groups and I have a total of 68 person weeks on Bonaire (1999 to 2006) and my LDS had 42 people on Bonaire last April. That's a total of 110 person weeks that I am personally familiar with and ALL with zero problem. Cynde, Tom and the other Bonaire regulars, we know the reality of the island. I had been avoiding responding to this thread and now I am going to return to that mode.

Tom Smedley:
Pilot Fish -

If you have a grand obsession for the crime in Bonaire - Just wait until you get to Truk and Yap.

Just get in between the two groups that throw rocks at one another in Truk and you won't worry about petty theft.

Yes, I'm starting to hear those kinds of stories about Truk. Have not heard that about Yap.

Tom Smedley:
Pilot Fish -

Tom, it's not that I have an obsession about Bonaire but I continue to be amazed that divers continue to rent cars and trucks there after it has been demonstrated that gear, valuables, etc, are being robbed while you are shore diving. I'm not saying don't go there, but I am saying, don't rent a truck or car and shore dive until the police, Bonairian Gov provides divers with better protection. Staying at a locked and patrolled resort on Bonaire is much safer

Just because I went there and stayed in a locked resort and had no problem means zip, when I have had friends rent trucks there and had gear stolen. They no longer rent cars and shore dive there.

Why do you thinik car rentals on Bonaire tell you not to leave "anything" of value in the car, or lock the doors and close the windows? Thet don't tell you that on Cozumel or any place else I've rented a car.

The bottom line is, if you continue to rent cars and trucks on Bonaire to shore dive, after you have received ample warning from other divers that there is a crime problem that involves crooks breaking into your auto while you and your party are shore diving, then you have no one to blame but yourself. If Bonaire was serious about correcting the problem, it would have been fixed a long time ago.

pilot fish:
Tom, it's not that I have an obsession about Bonaire but I continue to be amazed that divers continue to rent cars and trucks there after it has been demonstrated that gear, valuables, etc, are being robbed while you are shore diving. I'm not saying don't go there, but I am saying, don't rent a truck or car and shore dive until the police, Bonairian Gov provides divers with better protection. Staying at a locked and patrolled resort on Bonaire is much safer

Just because I went there and stayed in a locked resort and had no problem means zip, when I have had friends rent trucks there and had gear stolen. They no longer rent cars and shore dive there.

Why do you thinik car rentals on Bonaire tell you not to leave "anything" of value in the car, or lock the doors and close the windows? Thet don't tell you that on Cozumel or any place else I've rented a car.

The bottom line is, if you continue to rent cars and trucks on Bonaire to shore dive, after you have received ample warning from other divers that there is a crime problem that involves crooks breaking into your auto while you and your party are shore diving, then you have no one to blame but yourself. If Bonaire was serious about correcting the problem, it would have been fixed a long time ago.

If you leave nothing of value in the truck, what exactly do you have to worry about? No one can steal your laptop, passport, and wallet out of your rented pickup truck if you don't leave your laptopl passport, and wallet in the pickup truck in the first place. The rooms have safes. Use them. Leave the truck unlocked. I don't hear anyone talking about the trucks being stolen. If they were, I doubt the perps would have much luck hiding it anywhere on an island that size.

Don't take anything with you to the dive site that you aren't taking diving with you. Simple instructions.

You are, in fact, beating a dead horse.

yes, when you know about it you can protect yourself. Being forewarned you minimize your exposure to theft. It's the people, mostly newbies, that go to this island that think it's like every other place they've been, it's not, that can become victims. See, you already know you have to take extra precautions. Sadly, not everyone does.

gangrel441:
If you leave nothing of value in the truck, what exactly do you have to worry about?
Don't take anything with you to the dive site that you aren't taking diving with you.

You are, in fact, beating a dead horse.

:deadhorse:

My truck battery was stolen from the Margate Bay dive site. The glove compartment was "tossed" on 2 or 3 occasions, but nothing of much value was there ($5 sunglasses lost).

As nice as it is to have a dive site totally to yourself, I'd suggest picking one which has other divers coming and going while you are diving.

If I ever get back, I certainly will be renting a truck and shore diving again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom