Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just for fun, everyone should take dive gear markers and start initialing the spare tires in the rental cars or write "SPARE TIRE" and the tag number on them. Would make it interesting for "theives". There could be a prize for the person who gets the car or truck with the most tag numbers on the tire...

I have never been to Bonaire and the only thing I have had stolen was a laptop from a hotel room in Curacus, Ven. (an inside job).

Mike

Ok I read this and I am sorry but I first tried to have a good attitude and have no anger but I am so angry how people are with the attitude of well it didn't happen to me so it's like it doesn't exsit.
Well I am here to tell you there is no one who loves bonaire like I do but I just post a trip report and I did all the right things and the damn thieves broke in our rental unit and drilled the safe off the wall now tell me how you can stop that. It is because of peoples attitude in the above post that nothing is being done about the crime situation on bonaire.
Liz I am so surprised at your constant defense of the whole crime issue I know you have a business to run but it is not right. I feel until we as tourist put up a stance nothing will change ok you inn keepers who say crime is no problem well put your money where your mouth is why don"t you have insurance so when your supposed non crime happens you pay your guest for the items that were stolen. When they check in do a inventory to prove they had supposed stuff and when the thieves choose to break in your units your guest are protected .
It was not only I who lost out of stuff but merchants lost income because of crime because the thieves broke in on Wed night we were flying out on Friday. We had to spend all day thursday with police and consulate that the wind surf place lost out on about 100.00 because my daughter did not get to windsurf Sorry ELvis :(. I always go downtown to the jewel of bonaire and saw items I wanted during the week and was going to spend about 500.00 which he knows me so well because I see him every year so it cost him money. We usually went to out to dinner every night and spend on average between the four of us around 75.00 to 100.00 so zeezect resturant lost out on that. Was going to go to superwarehouse and buy about 50.00 worth of dutch food to bring back to co-workers and friends as gifts. Plus because the thiefs took off with safe we could not pay exit tax so the tax collector did not get 140.00.
Plus not to mention I work in a very high profile job and my clients know that we go to bonaire every year and can't wait to hear about my trips there and in the past have had people go because of it now they are like I would never go there now.
So you need to wake up and instead of trying to sweep this crime issue under the rug . Just like a alcoholic the first step to stop drinking is to admit there is a problem so you can stop from drinking. Well Bonaire needs to wake up and admit there is a problem with crime and do something about it.
I know this will make alot of people mad but I needed to get this off my chest.

Don't normally like to respond to crime posts etc.
But having been to Jamaica, Tobago, St. Vincent/Bequia, Cozumel and Mayan Riviera, and the BVI's I don't remember crime(besides Jamaica) being any where in my thoughts when traveling. Bonaire surprising has always had my attention since my first trip. Petty crime--having to park close to each others at night so gas was not siphoned off--first example from first time (been 4 coming for 5th).
So for reasons I don't understand I would maintain that Bonaire does seem to have an unusual crime problem for what it is. In my limited experience it seems petty in nature but from reading here seems potentially more serious. I do get the impression it is down played on message boards; however paradoxically I read and hear a lot about it
Crime doesn't stop me yet from coming. I love the diving freedom. Otherwise I'd happily go to Tobago. But remain cautious, obviously it can happen to anyone.

scubabanker:
but I just post a trip report and I did all the right things and the damn thieves broke in our rental unit and drilled the safe off the wall now tell me how you can stop that.....

{SNIP}

good question. and why do you assume no one cares.

scubabanker:
Ok I read this and I am sorry but I first tried to have a good attitude and have no anger but I am so angry how people are with the attitude of well it didn't happen to me so it's like it doesn't exsit.
Well I am here to tell you there is no one who loves bonaire like I do but I just post a trip report and I did all the right things and the damn thieves broke in our rental unit and drilled the safe off the wall now tell me how you can stop that. It is because of peoples attitude in the above post that nothing is being done about the crime situation on bonaire.
Liz I am so surprised at your constant defense of the whole crime issue I know you have a business to run but it is not right. I feel until we as tourist put up a stance nothing will change ok you inn keepers who say crime is no problem well put your money where your mouth is why don"t you have insurance so when your supposed non crime happens you pay your guest for the items that were stolen. When they check in do a inventory to prove they had supposed stuff and when the thieves choose to break in your units your guest are protected .
It was not only I who lost out of stuff but merchants lost income because of crime because the thieves broke in on Wed night we were flying out on Friday. We had to spend all day thursday with police and consulate that the wind surf place lost out on about 100.00 because my daughter did not get to windsurf Sorry ELvis :(. I always go downtown to the jewel of bonaire and saw items I wanted during the week and was going to spend about 500.00 which he knows me so well because I see him every year so it cost him money. We usually went to out to dinner every night and spend on average between the four of us around 75.00 to 100.00 so zeezect resturant lost out on that. Was going to go to superwarehouse and buy about 50.00 worth of dutch food to bring back to co-workers and friends as gifts. Plus because the thiefs took off with safe we could not pay exit tax so the tax collector did not get 140.00.
Plus not to mention I work in a very high profile job and my clients know that we go to bonaire every year and can't wait to hear about my trips there and in the past have had people go because of it now they are like I would never go there now.
So you need to wake up and instead of trying to sweep this crime issue under the rug . Just like a alcoholic the first step to stop drinking is to admit there is a problem so you can stop from drinking. Well Bonaire needs to wake up and admit there is a problem with crime and do something about it.
I know this will make alot of people mad but I needed to get this off my chest.

The fact is that we do feel for you even though it is fact that you are a minority in terms of the crime you suffered on Bonaire. What happened to you is horrible compared to the petty theft that takes place at the dive sites and it's the breaking and entering that really scares me. Still, what happened to you happens to people all over the world every day and it happens no more in Bonaire than in every other place in the world on average. That is fact. Still, it happens more than it should and we all do need to do something about it BUT I'm not sure if not going to Bonaire is the answer. Maybe I am wrong.

Seriously though, you are preaching to the choir. :wink: We feel you and you are right...only the victim truly understands. I have been a victim, most probably have.

gert7to3:
One thing which might be helpful here is if people named the specific dive sites where they had something stolen. Is this happening on the remote southern sites or the ones along the northern road? It could give everyone insight, especially if there was a pattern developing. I have been to Bonaire 3 times with no probelms. Though I took heed of the warnings about things left in the vehicle and always used the safes provided at hotels.

I think my favorite shore dive, Karpata, is one of the areas that are hit by thieves, just because of its location (1 way road), popularity, and picnic area/with toilet ambiance.

We saw a couple of creeps 'cruising' the parking lot...they were pretty obvious, and I wish a cop could have been there to check them out.

Spent a fantastic week there, had nothing stolen. Took the necessary precautions - left nothing of value in the truck, doors unlocked, and the glove compartment open. I never felt unsafe - I'm more worried about getting mugged walking down the street in the US! (or the UK for that matter, or even The Netherlands, the list goes on!). What's usually the problem is that once people are on vacation, they think they're safe and don't take their usual precautions, and thus stuff gets stolen, but usually it's their own stupid fault...

A group of 12 of us were there in Dec 04. It happened twice in one week.

The first time the rental windows were broken and the empty dive bag and a "save a dive" kit was stolen. The second time... no windows any more... a pair of OLD shorts with a hole and american change (like $1.50) walked away. The items were so small in value we couldn't believe some one stole them, let alone broke the windows to get them.

Both times, we were all under the water. So we started to tie our dive bags down at about 25 feet under water. We figured they couldn't get it out there. We will go back. A few folks can't ruin it for all of us. It was a shame.

Tortuga Diver

Back
Top Bottom