Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NDH

Reaction score
We are heading to Bonaire in 2007. I was just curious on how many people have had
something taken from them in Bonaire.

If you don't mind let us know where it was taken from and what was taken.

This is not to point fingers at anyone, its just to give insight to future travelers.

Does my rental car count?

Still, I'd go back... and will!

Look- theft and property crime is endemic to any Caribbean island. Just because Bonaire offers such a broad array of park and dive shore dive locations- it's a no brainer. Us dummies show up and lock the car with our valuables put away or just laying out.

A couple of solutions:

a) Leave the car unlocked and empty. Your DL, Visa Card and $$ are waterproof. You do not need a waterproof box or your cell phone.

b) One overlooking hill, one marksman, one bullet.

Either way- end of problem.

My husband's dive boots were stolen last Feb. He was packing up his gear at the dive shop and his boots were snatched when he walked the 10 ft to rinse his BC. It was at the Dive-Inn dive shop. Very rude people working there as well - even before his boots went walk-about, we were unhappy.

During a dive in April, 2005, my wife's presence was sufficient to prevent a couple of curious residents (including one middle-aged female) from retrieving any dive gear from our rental truck and our guide's and videographer's minivan. My son and I, along with the other two, were diving off Baby Beach on the east side. I believe they were just poor opportunists.

Dan

Battery stolen from rental truck at Margate Bay. Also cheap ($5) plastic sunglasses. Also, float which I had made from a large pill box for anchoring a strobe at night, and placed under the car seat -- I'm sure that one was thrown out. I don't suggest sites which allow thiefs to not be see from the road before they can hear the oncoming traffic -- Margate bay has low trees providing such cover. Even though it is nice to have the site to yourself, busier sites do not provide quite the window of opportunity, especially if you can time your entry relative to other divers there. There is often a snack vendor at Karpata -- I'm under the impression that he keeps an eye on things when he is there, so no problem.

Glove box etc. was tossed on a couple of other occasions, nothing missing.

Follow all the precautions and you won't be missing anything important. I took an old pair of prescription eyeglasses, which I left in the truck bed under the tank rack, no problem. I carried cash and keys in a waterproof pouch I wore around my neck. I left
my drivers license and wallet in the condo safe.

We didn't even take our Shore Diving book with us in the truck -- just notes on sites we wanted to dive that day.

You know... the Police on Bonaire have known this problem has been going on for years. They know who's doing it. It's obvisous they are making no effort to stop the crime on tourist on the island.

I want to go to Bonaire someday, but stories of theft on this island sound frustrating enough to make you not want to go.

I've not heard of diver theft problems on any island as bad as Bonaire. Just shows they don't care to do anything to fix the problem.

I went to Bonaire with my buddy this recent August 2006. We left our rental truck unlocked and windows opened. Nothing in the truck but towels and papers. We never had a problem with thieves while we were staying there.

Thanks to Scubaboard about leaving rental vehicles unlocked and etc, I would never known it!

mike_s:
You know... the Police on Bonaire have known this problem has been going on for years. They know who's doing it. It's obvisous they are making no effort to stop the crime on tourist on the island.

I want to go to Bonaire someday, but stories of theft on this island sound frustrating enough to make you not want to go.

I've not heard of diver theft problems on any island as bad as Bonaire. Just shows they don't care to do anything to fix the problem.

Mike,

Apparently you have never been to Bonaire and are making assumptions about the crime situations on Bonaire. I'm not saying that they don't exist, they do, as on other islands, and as someone who lives and owns a hospitality related business on Bonaire and came to Bonaire for 15 years prior to living, I have kept a constant watch on the crime situation. Luckily, we have never had a theft problem now or in the past.

First, Bonaire over the last year has taken a more agressive approach towards "petty theft", which you do not hear about on "boards". Secondly, we are a very small island and have a total census of around 13,000 people. The government and police of Bonaire cannot publish their every lead and finding regarding these petty theft crimes as they do on the states (such as evening news, etc) as it would be detrimental to their investigations given the small size of the island. Also what you all don't see or hear about is when a "theft ring" is uncovered, it is posted in the local newspapers. Unless you have access to "Extra" or one of the other papiamentu or Dutch Language newspapers, you will not hear about the successes the police department has had.

Another thing to remember is that people tend to post or report problems rather than post if nothing happened and they had nothing to report. My best guestimate on an average is that approximately 1% or less of the tourism population is affected by "petty crimes" on Bonaire. I am sure that is less than you would see on other Caribbean islands. It would truly be unrealistic to assume that ANY place in the world would be crime free, especially with human nature the way it is.

I think I will conduct a study of trip reports from various websites with boards that support this feature, maybe we will have a better idea, especially as to perception vs reality, especially compared to the other islands.

I will work on it and post a report, just to see. Like I said, it's not that we don't have crime on Bonaire we do, I just think it is blown way out of proportion compared to other islands.

I've had items stolen in Cozumel, but not in Bonaire. I know that it has happened in Bonaire. But it happens everywhere. I just think Bonaire has been catching a bad rap on this for many years now. The key is to be cautious everywhere, even in the U.S., and keep you valuables out of site or not with you.

CB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom