Who has had something stolen in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liz nailed it, a minor problem way over reported. Four trips with nothing missing but a piece of my heart.

dvrliz1:
Mike,

Apparently you have never been to Bonaire and are making assumptions about the crime situations on Bonaire.

Liz. I haven't been to Bonaire. (yet). I say yet because I'd like to come sometime. Crime or no crime. I know that no place is crime free.

however, I don't believe that I'm making assumptions. It's pretty clear that people are victums of theft here. Lots of folks I know come back and say they had something stolen. Mostly small petty theft items that would have been prevented if they hadn't left them in their vehicle. However, That doesn't amount to assumptions but fact.

Now... I'm glad to hear that Bonaire has been more agressive on curbing petty theft. That' is good to hear. Hopefully this will improve.

I'm really wondering if it is over rated. I can go down to a Texas beach and leave a car all day and I bet 99% of the time nothing would happen. Can you do that in Bonaire?
And why do people tell me to just leave the windows down and nothing inside when we visit Bonaire. Yes there are other inlands with more problems and even when I was at Cocoview( which is on a small inland) in Roatan we had some lights come up missing. Steps were taken to stop such acts.
I don't want to blow things up, but I don't think sweeping it under the rug is a solution either. Now there has been several reports that burglars are entering rooms at night while people are sleeping. I don't know how much truths to these reports, but if true someone is going to get hurt. Let's all hope that solutions can be made without stepping on each others toes. As divers we have responsibilities to each other on top as well as underwater.

mike_s:
Liz. I haven't been to Bonaire. (yet). I say yet because I'd like to come sometime. Crime or no crime. I know that no place is crime free.

Part of the reason Bonaire seems to have more of a theft problem may be a difference in the type of diving activity. On Bonaire, you can just rent a truck and dive up and down the coast, no need to ever board a boat. If you were to only dive the resort boats, or the shore in front of your resort, your chances of theft would be considerably lower. For many other destinations, you don't have a vehicle to leave while you are diving, you just use the resort boats.

It's kind of liberating, never having to lock your truck or roll up the windows. At least until someone steals your battery.

NDH:
I'm really wondering if it is over rated. I can go down to a Texas beach and leave a car all day and I bet 99% of the time nothing would happen.

True in northern California also, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't do it a lot of places in Hawaii.

If anyone cares to look, this topic has been thoroughly discussed on Scubaboard and Bonairetalk.

Skyscuba I do have to agree with you about shore diving instead of boat diving. All the diving that my wife and I have done is from resorts with the boats out front. Only one place this past summer I knew that if I turned my back it would be gone was Cabo. It's just hard for me to leave my save a dive kit behind in the room just because someone will come along and take it.
Maybe the truck rental places can start puting a safe box on there trucks with a lock.

skynscuba:
True in northern California also, but from what I've heard, I wouldn't do it a lot of places in Hawaii.

If anyone cares to look, this topic has been thoroughly discussed on Scubaboard and Bonairetalk.

Hawaii is much MUCH worse than Bonaire for theft and crime - I have dove both!

DeputyDan have you every had anything taken from you in Bonaire?

Just got back a month ago from two weeks in Bonaire. We had no problems at all. We did follow the car rental recommendations to leave the windows rolled down and the doors unlocked. I found it amusing that in talking to the locals, they would never leave their car unlocked, that's not safe! Obviously the rental trucks are easy to spot so they are more of a target. The thiefs probably know they might actually have to deal with a local in the future......there's only 13,000 people living on the island. Tell you what, all you guys concerned about crime on Bonaire.......got to the Cayman's. I'll go back to Bonaire for you and search for the bad guys.......and maybe dive a little while I'm there just to tempt them again! Happy Holidays everyone!

Back
Top Bottom